Oil information

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Oil information

Postby LJNLindsay » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:05 pm

I was reading up on some stuff (unrelated to tmau) & came a cross an article about olive oil, & a simple test to see if your olive oil has soybean added:

Vegetables oils contain omega-6 polyunsaturated fats which are inflammatory when consumed in large amounts. This would include oils such as corn, canola, and soybean oil. These oils are commonly found in commercial mayonnaise and salad dressings. Choose high quality olive oils (the cheaper ones tend to be cut with canola or other vegetable oils) and nut oils, since these are monounsaturated oils, and don't effect the liver in the same way as polyunsaturated oils.

Note: You can test to see if your olive oil has been adulterated with soybean, cottonseed, or corn oil. Just put it in your refrigerator. Within a day or two, pure olive oil solidifies. If there is more than 20% of these other oils in it, it will never solidify at refrigerator temperature.

Not sure if this will be helpful to anyone, but I thought I'd share it just in case...

It recommends avoiding the cheaper brands, but where do you buy the 'good stuff' - health food shops?

Linds x
"When No One Else Cares; My Dogs' Still Love Me"
LJNLindsay

Return to Diet