Coconut oil

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Coconut oil

Postby Veronica » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:16 am

This has been recommended, but I got a bad reaction after trying it...and then in a health magazine I read that coconut oil contains lechitin :o
Any comments? I'm back to using olive oil, even though I'm lacking in omega-3, my hair and nails tell me that.
Veronica

Re: Coconut oil

Postby kittycat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:53 am

Hi Veronica.. Maybe the coconut oil needs to be cold pressed, like olive oil..otherwise it may be homogenised/emulsified? I've also seen coconut oil with added lecithin :o
For omega 3 I eat sprouted mung beans (bean sprouts) which is low choline and 1/4 protein, followed by a couple of walnuts. I've also just sown some purslane seeds, which apparently, are a good source of omega 3 and low choline. It's a 'succulent creeper that tastes like mangetout and bramley apples' but seems like a bit of a slow grower. Kx
kittycat

Postby Veronica » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:39 am

Hello Kitty

I'm confused...I've been using regular olive oil, not cold pressed, because I make casseroles and bake, and it's my understanding that cold pressed olive oil doesn't do well in high temperatures? It goes rancid. Cold pressed is only good if you don't heat it up?

So I could buy mung beans and boil them :) Thanks for the tip. And good luck with the gardening.
Veronica

Postby kittycat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:38 am

Sorry to confuse Veronica.. It was just an idea, no one should ever take anything I say as gospel.. I'm on so many do's, and don'ts regarding diet, that I get mixed up as to wether I'm avoiding cholesterol, choline or cancer. Though I think it's the extra virgin olive oil that shouldn't be heated, the light ones are ok. To hedge my bets I also use sunflower oil for cooking, as well as coconut oil which seems ok for me.
I add my sprouted mung beans to home made veggie soup, and they're delicious stir fried. Kx
kittycat

Postby Avery » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:38 am

I think it's the additional virgin coconut oil that should not be warmed, the mild ones are ok, to protect my gamble i also use sunflower oil for food preparation, as well as grape oil which seems ok for me....

Naperville Boot camp
[url=http://www.toplevelfit.com/naperville-boot-camp/]Naperville Boot camp[/url]
Avery

Return to Diet