omega/essential fatty acids

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

omega/essential fatty acids

Postby egglover » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Well...appointment with dietician was a total anticlimax. After months of waiting I knew more than she did. She promised to get back to me with the answers to my 101 questions but don't hold much hope.

This forum is much more informative ! One question I have is what to people do about getting their omega and essential fatty acids?

I can't even look at a fish - even a freshwater one - without emptying the room. I used to have a small amount of walnuts but get lots of complaints so am avoiding them.

Is primrose oil a good alternative to fish oil? What else do people use?

The restricted diet is working for me (most days) but my hair and skin are in awful condition and my nails are breaking (need to start taking calcium tablets)

Not looking great vs not smelling like rotton eggs :(
egglover

Re: omega/essential fatty acids

Postby treacle » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:46 pm

Butternut squash is a good source of ALA which can be converted by the body into EPA, the most beneficial form of Omega 3 fatty acids. Also red bell peppers are quite high
treacle

Postby Maisie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Does anyone take Evening Primrose oil?
Maisie

Postby egglover » Sat May 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Hi maisie, Still waiting for my dietician to get back to me on this one. I've asked her 3 times now. Does anyone else know if it's o.k to take evening primrose oil?
egglover

Postby treacle » Tue May 14, 2013 9:27 pm

I take Evening Primrose Oil. I haven't noticed it causing any major negative effect so continue to take it. I certainly feel my hormones are better balanced when taking it i.e. less PMS, better skin etc. In fact when I've stopped taking it for a while I get a craving for it! For the past week I've also been taking 2 desertspoons of Flaxseed oil a day. Have noticed a definite improvement in IBS as a result but not sure yet whether its having a bad effect on TMAU symptoms..so will carry on for another week or so. Anyone taking flaxseed oil? (NOT flaxseed)
treacle

Postby adlena » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:43 am

yes m taking evening primrose oil for hormones balance
adlena
adlena

Return to Diet