Symprove for IBS sufferers

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Re: Symprove for IBS sufferers

Postby Pebble » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:18 am

Just to add to the list of smells, I have on a couple of occasions smelt like I'm drenched in cats pee. Has anyone else experienced this?
Pebble

Postby PoetFire » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Suzie wrote:Hi idealist..

I do not know what I have - I've tested negative for TMAU twice now. However my symptoms are very transient. They come out of nowhere like an explosion. And then gone. The odour goes off the scale around my time of the month so there is a big hormone link. A strict diet also seems to improve things sometimes... But never always. The odours are mostly faecal odours but there are also many others from BBQ, cheese, fish, burning, BO, cheap perfume, marihuana..the bizarre to the ridiculous! the list goes on and on.

All I know is that I have something along the lines of TMAU but have given up with doctors now as I don't fit into a nice neat box and they can't help me. I found Dr Lachmann particularly disinterested and unhelpful. No empathy or understanding about the extreme stress that the condition has on my everyday life. He basically said he couldn't do anything for me. Thank goodness for the Internet and forums like this!

Hi Suzie. One thing about testing for TMAU in the UK is that the reference range for the TMA/TMAO ratio is very conservative at around 79% (they list it as something like 0.21.

The 'bar' at which the TMA/TMAO ratio is set can be done subjectively or using a 'median average' or something. My guess is that it should be subjective and set very high. Dr Shephard says in her TMAU article she suggests setting it at 90%. So that means people in the UK who are 79%-89% would be 'normal' according to them but not normal according to Dr Shephard (who is a FMO3 expert). I have also heard 2 other experts say it should be around 90%

If you want to list your TMA and TMAO levels it can be easily worked out or you can work it out yourself.
PoetFire

Postby robert123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi all,
Sorry if I may veer the topic back to symprove for a moment I came across this article in the Daily Mail recently -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... stine.html
Basically it says most probiotics drinks and supplements are useless except for vsl#3 which is some good but the best by far in clinicals trials was symprove.
Personally I found my odour to spike like others on here when I took symprove for a few days and so got scared and gave it up. However paradoxically it may have been a good sign as it may have started to disrupt the old odour producing bacteria. Don't know, if I can summon up the courage I'd like to take it for a good long time.
robert123

Postby idealist » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:24 pm

Thanks for the post Robert. I am now on my second bottle and I can now feel something is happening. It does make you smell more but that's the nature of the game.

ps- I am now growing Kombucha which is even better and cheaper....
idealist

Previous

Return to Diet