Symprove for IBS sufferers

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Symprove for IBS sufferers

Postby idealist » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Saw this on the Daily Mail -

''British doctors are claiming a major breakthrough in treating a stomach condition which causes misery for millions.

They proved that a drink containing ‘friendly’ bugs relieves bloating and stomach pain for long-term sufferers of irritable bowel syndrome.

Around 12million people in the UK are affected by IBS. Three in four sufferers are women.

The probiotic drink called Symprove is already available online and in some Tesco stores and a daily dose costs around the same as a cappuccino at £2.''

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... 1YFp87oD''

http://www.symprove.com/buy-symprove#
idealist

Re: Symprove for IBS sufferers

Postby admin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks for the Link
admin
Site Admin

Postby Maisie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Has anyone tried this? It sounds interesting.
Maisie

Postby admin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:37 pm

I've got 4 bottles, been diagnosed with crohn's disease but gastro also states I have IBS as well, not using them yet but will update when I've tried them.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 am

Would adding FOS (fructo-oligosaccharides) to our diet help? This is a natural sugar-like substance that costs less than £10 from health food shops (I ordered mine) and by adding half a teaspoon a day to your diet increases the number of beneficial bacteria up to fivefold over 8 weeks. Keep taking it after that to maintain this increase. If you're constipated 2-3 daily teaspoons are said to help. I've started adding it either to porridge in the morning, because porridge contains this substance naturally, or to berries and plain live yogurt. If we also eat less sugar which feeds the bad bacteria surely this will help? I also added zinc to my diet as studies show this to decrease offensive body odour. FOS is found naturally in fruit, veg and grains (oats, rice, etc) so I eat more of them too. And, though people still tend to rub their noses when I am close, no-one has moved away from me or looked appalled in the last week. Could be coincidence but I'm hoping it's slowly working. I've been taking it for just over 2 weeks now.
Jan

Postby idealist » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:47 am

Apparently you have to take this for three months in order this to work. One bottle usually lasts 7-10 days and costs around £20 for one bottle or £70 for four.
I have just finished my first bottle! I finally got around to buying it after my local health food shop started to supply them. I have ordered another online (it's much cheaper). It is expensive and will cost around £280 to complete the treatment. So far I have noticed that after taking this my body reacts badly to sugar but a part from that nothing else to report. but I will repost after my next batch arrives and is taken .
idealist

Postby Suzie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:06 pm

I tried Symprove but stopped it pretty quickly as it sent my symptoms totally off the scale - a whole room of people recoiling - it was like a stink bomb. I steer well clear of probiotics as a result! I know that everyone is different though so fingers crossed it works for you.

Suzie
Suzie

Postby idealist » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:25 am

Hi Suzie,

That's unfortunate it made the smell worse on the first attempt. I have read other comments and most people say that probiotic products make their symptoms worse. Symprove is very expensive and there is no way I can continue for three months. However, I was talking to someone the other day about a procedure at her workplace (the procedure did not work). She was telling me that things keep changing when something does not work after the first try ....Basically people need to stick with something and try and make it work for longer.

Someone needs to have a look into probiotics and odour....

ps do you have TMAU or an unknown illness??
idealist

Postby Suzie » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi idealist..

I do not know what I have - I've tested negative for TMAU twice now. However my symptoms are very transient. They come out of nowhere like an explosion. And then gone. The odour goes off the scale around my time of the month so there is a big hormone link. A strict diet also seems to improve things sometimes... But never always. The odours are mostly faecal odours but there are also many others from BBQ, cheese, fish, burning, BO, cheap perfume, marihuana..the bizarre to the ridiculous! the list goes on and on.

All I know is that I have something along the lines of TMAU but have given up with doctors now as I don't fit into a nice neat box and they can't help me. I found Dr Lachmann particularly disinterested and unhelpful. No empathy or understanding about the extreme stress that the condition has on my everyday life. He basically said he couldn't do anything for me. Thank goodness for the Internet and forums like this!
Suzie

Postby beautifulsoul39 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi don't give up i was tested firstly for tmau and it came bk negative,i knew they had done the test incorrectly so i insisted i deserved another test after a choline load and it done correctly and it came bk positive,like you ive been told my odours are,poo,bbq,burning,rubber,fish,cheese,gas, how was you tested ?
beautifulsoul39

Next

Return to Diet