Protein

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Protein

Postby Monkeyman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi ,just a question about protein been eating egg whites but it doesn't seem to doing any good,any suggestions on what proteins I can include in my diet.
Monkeyman

Re: Protein

Postby chuckles » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi MM,

Although egg whites have little to no choline content, some people may react to them due to the high sulfur content.

After doing extensive research, I've found black walnuts and tahini to have the lowest amount of choline per gram of protein.

In 100 grams of black walnuts (not english walnuts), there are 24 grams of protein and only 32 grams of choline.

In 100 grams of tahini, there are 17 grams of protein and only 26 grams of choline.

Although the amount has not been quantified yet, hemp protein seems to have similarly low choline content if examined and compared to other seeds/nuts.
chuckles

Postby smelly » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:05 pm

The international TMAU site

http://www.bloodbornebodyodorandhalitosis.com

has got a list of high/low choline foods under the heading FOOD GUIDELINES, at top of home page.

Interesting that turkey has a lot less choline than chicken, & breasts of chicken & turkey have less than thighs.
smelly

Postby NotFun » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:57 pm

I've been experiencing something I'd like to share. I started the Atkins Diet about 3 weeks ago and I noticed that my body odor is completely gone. I started the diet to lose weight, not to cure the TMAU but it seems to be a very lucky side affect of the diet. I'm beginning to think it's because the diet eliminates sugar and all carbs (but not leafy green vegetables). Perhaps our bodies can't process the sugar and carbs the way other folks do. It's amazing how much sugar is in the average diet. It's in everything from ketchup to cold medicine. Since experts say that TMAU is caused by an inability to metabolize certain foods, enzymes, etc, it makes sense to think that it can be cured by adding or eliminating something in our diets. All I know is I'm convinced that the change in my diet is affecting this and I am thrilled. In a prior post I mentioned that calcium/magnesium/zinc vitamins were very helpful but the remedy was not foolproof and the condition came back every once on a while. So far this is working like a charm. I'd give up sugar and starches permanently if I didn't have to experience TMAU. It's such a cruel condition.
NotFun

Postby idealist » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi Not fun and co,

I have also given up all types of sugar and starch etc(Candida diet) a month or so ago, and found that my odour has reduced by 60% . Although I never started it because of my odour, but wow the smell has reduced in such a small space of time.

I also have done many posts on calcium/magnesium/zinc vitamins in the past, and yes it may help but as you said, it is not fool proof and I found taking them made me feel ill(it is best taking them at night at least 2hrs after you have eaten and taking them with milk helped with my nausea ).

Anyway, I now feel really ill if I try and eat risotto...... I have not tried to eat anything else, well apart form lentils (if I have too much the smell returns) but other than that no sugar no wheat/fish/eggs seems to do the tick. I am continuing for another two months and than I have been told to reintroduce food one by one to see which food causes me the most harm.

I had a strange die off affect my skin on my feet started peeling (it looked like I had glue on my feet) I just rubbed my feet with my hand and the skin came right off (well most of it)

Funnily enough I am not missing cakes and/or biscuits, pasta etc, I miss not having a wider choice of food. I am seriously considering returning to eating meat. However I was told that it can take four days to digest meat :?

Sorry I know this has nothing to do with Protein monkeyman but I thought I would respond to Not funs post ;)

good luck with everything
idealist

Postby smelly » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:05 pm

NotFun,

have you been diagnosed with TMAU?

The reason I ask is that you might want to be careful that you arent increasing the TMAU odour, which you might not be able to smell.The Atkins diet is about eating a HIGH protein diet. People with TMAU produce more odour the more protein they eat.

You might be finding that you are reducing an odour with a different cause by reducing the carbs and sugar, but if you are making up the calories you are losing in carbs and sugar, by eating a lot more protein, you will be increasing TMAU odour.

But if you are reducing your calorie intake overall, so that you are reducing carbs and sugar but not increasing the actual amount of protein you eat, that would be a better plan? Hopefully you have a dietician helping you out so you can keep healthy through this - its a mine field, I know......
smelly

Postby smelly » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:38 pm

idealist,

thats great news you are having good results on a diet of no sugar no wheat/fish/eggs. That sounds like where I am at the moment. Dont know how much its affecting the odour but I think its a reasonable healthy basis for a diet. I have sourced a supply of good organic turkey breast so that when I eat meat its the lowest amount of choline and not full of nasties. I am going to get some tahini and learn how to use it, thanks to chuckles :) and find black walnuts as well.

I read in New Scientist that people who reach old age and are still fit and healthy have lived on a diet that is low-ish in protein (and high in veg). The general diet we all eat in the UK is considered to be high protein, which sounds right because a lot of people I know will have one or more source of meat/cheese/dairy at every meal. And the UK population has a high incidence of strokes heart disease obesity etc. Hopefully we can eat quite healthily on a lowish protien diet, that reduces / cuts out sugar and wheat so long as our protein is ‘good quality’ and we get our other calories from lots of vegetables.

By the way, talking about protein, I have read today that eating just one Brazil nut can give you all the selenium you need for the day. Its a nutrient that is usually found in foods we are probably avoiding, and is quite important to get. It just shows that we can probably get all the nutrients we need and eat a TMAU-friendly diet if we justa eat a very small amount of all the good stuff and avoid junk foods.
smelly

Postby smelly » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Can i ask you both how you take your calcium/magensium/zinc tablets? Is it a brand that just contains those 3 things or are you taking 3 separate tablets? And what amounts of each?
smelly

Postby idealist » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi smelly,

Thanks :) Glad you to hear that you also feel that you are making some sort of progress :D .
In regards to your question about calcium/magnesium/zinc tablets I take all three tablets in just one tablet (all-in-one), but people need to take three/two (all in one) tablets (all at once) before you go to bed and make sure all your food has been digested (2-4 hours). It really worked the first time, I just felt so 'clean'.

I took them the other day (now I am on the Candida diet) and I could feel the affect of them for two/three days. I no longer feel sick when taking them (I think this is down to the Candida diet and having more probiotics in my gut).

They worked mostly on the overall smell and for the breath but not so much for foot odour. However curing that may need more time. Different things work for different people, charcoal tablets and Nullo does not work for me, however they work/ help many of the members. I have my fingers crossed ;)
idealist

Postby Bradley » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:50 am

Health is Wealth:

we should eat fresh and healthy food and vegetables,
which makes us healthy and also doing exercise....
Bradley

Next

Return to Diet