bread or potatoes?????

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

bread or potatoes?????

Postby stinky17 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:35 pm

b4 going on a night out i only eat bread (thats baked instore) with honey and pears for a snack but would any1 say that potatoes with bit of salad would be better like lettuce cucumber n peppers???
stinky17

Re: bread or potatoes?????

Postby Lisa » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Yello Claire,
I get on OK with spuds, peppers, and cucumber, toms, but I read somewhere lettuce is very high in Choline, :shock: , which seems abit ridiculous as I thought it was mostly water?
You tried courgettes, celery? Oh, how mouthwatering do they sound? :roll: .x
Lisa

Postby stinky17 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:47 am

:lol: mmmm they sound great lol, i wasent sure about the tomatoes i no im ok with tinned but wasent sure about fresh? shock about the lettuce tho...ive never had courgettes b4 how do u prepare them cold or cooked lol...yes i do eat celery but wasent sure about having it b4 i go out with it been strong??
i eat celery dipped in honey at the time of the month when i need chocs :lol: sounds strange i no but when u need something sweet needs must lol the kids go errrr mum haha x
stinky17

Postby smelly » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:11 pm

stinky17, I cook courgettes like I do peppers and mushrooms etc, put on a bit of olive oil and stir fry in pan or under grill or in oven. If I want to bulk up a pasta suace with them I sometimes grate them into it so it looks different because Im always eating the same things!
smelly

Postby stinky17 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:21 pm

sounds nice do u eat that with potatoes? what sauce do u put in them?
stinky17

Postby smelly » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Bread or potatoes?.....I only eat potatoes once or twice a week because they SEEM to cause a problem if I eat a lot(???) and bread seems to always cause problems for me, even if I get it from a shop that swears all thats in it is wheat flour yeast and sunflower oil.I don’t even put butter on, just olive oil. I don’t know whats wrong with those things. I think I must not be able to take much flour, because the odour seems to get worse if I make pancakes that are just flour, rice milk, egg substitute and oil.

I don’t eat a proper pasta sauce because I don’t get on with fruit and tomatoes are a fruit , apparently! Instead, I slice peppers mushrooms and courgette, spread over oven tray , pour over olive oil, maybe put a sprig of rosemary in at side, put in oven at about 200oC for half an hour, turn over and mix veg half way through cooking so everything gets coated in oil, and slightly over cook them so bits are slightly charred (this adds a bit more flavour for me) and when you take veg off tray after cooking make sure you take all the oil as well because thats where the flavour is, and it adds a bit of moisture to the meal if you don’t feel confident about eating butter etc.
If you feel you can eat tomatoes they are good with this as well but remove the mushy centre part before cooking or it will ruin the way the other veg cook (I think!) – you say you can take tinned tomatoes, then I would heat them separate and add to veg afterwards cos they’ll leak too much water

I add this veg to baked potatoes ( cooked covered in olive oil and loads of salt so skin goes good and crispy hmmm), mashed potatoes (sometimes mix in a tiny amount of French mustard to the mash if desparate but have a feeling mustard is probably not a good idea), pasta or rice. And to couscous which has been cooked in lemon juice and water, or veg stock.

When I was weaning myself off the jars of pasta sauce I used to try to make it similar by liquidizing some of the veg and tomatoes and basil leaves or oregano to give a ‘saucy’ texture then adding to the pasta and rest of the veg. It looked not too bad but I think it makes the veg taste different so now I just put the ‘oily’ veg straight onto pasta.

When I get sick of the sight of these veg, I boil sliced carrots and then oven cook them in oil for 15 mins to slightly char, same as before, with herbs and add to rice etc with sliced celery and cucumber.

My taste buds are tingling now.....my favourite thing at the minute is frying thinly sliced mushrooms in olive oil till slightly charred (I find this adds more flavour to the oil) then adding arbario (?) risotto rice and stirring till soaks up oil, then adding small amounts of veg stock gradually and a few olives (I think these might be dodgy but a few adds flavour). If I get the rice/ veg / stock ratio just right this can be quite tastey, hmmmm.....

Its funny how your taste buds adapt when you stop eating rich flavoursome ready made meals and sauces. I knew exactly what the celebrities in the jungle felt like when they were going mad for a bit of salt in their rice to add flavour :shock:
smelly

Postby stinky17 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:42 am

thanks for that i will defo be trying that sounds nice :D
so are we ok with pasta i havent had it for ages cause i dident know if it was egg pasta if we was allowed it?
stinky17

Postby Lisa » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:14 pm

While we're on about grub, for those of us that can eat abit of chicken/turkey, what I've been doing is cooking meat with lemon/thyme, peepers, courgettes, (bacon)? in one of those bags you can cook in the oven, that way, all the food stays moist, and all the flavours infuse together. Just a thought, so some of you can have abit more flavour to your food?
Peepers aka peppers. :?
Lisa

Postby smelly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:44 pm

Chicken in a bag with herbs, yum!....

stinky17, I wouldnt touch the egg pasta because egg has one of the highest choline counts, and even the wheat pasta probably shouldnt be eaten a lot because I think the wheat is aproblem from what I remember, but I have a small amount of it with a lot of veg
smelly

Postby stinky17 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:04 pm

i darnt even touch meat!! maybe when im not going anywere the next day i might start indroducing it again.

ive just had a plate full of pasta with mushrooms tin toms n herbs over roasted vegs, u cant tell me 2 only have a little :lol: ill see if it affects me 2mora.

has any 1 got any more meal suggestions i get sick of the same thing???
stinky17

Next

Return to Diet