Eating out

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Eating out

Postby batoli » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:07 am

Hi everyone

I was just wondering what you all order when eating out in a cafe or restaurant?

I find myself eating out a lot due to work/social events but am very concious that I need to stick to my diet without coming across as a fussy eater.

Salads, soup and pasta alway seem a good bet. But everyone has onions, garlic, soy really.

I would get a sandwich from starbucks, pret etc. but am wary that the bread has soya in.

This condition was probably the worst I could have got seeing I am a massive foodie! I find myself cooking grand meals for other people now and not being able to eat them myself?!
batoli

Re: Eating out

Postby kittycat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi batoli, Good to hear you're working and have a social life :D It gives hope to the people, whose lives have stopped dead, to know it is possible 8-) I think you can only carry on with what you're already doing, trying to find something on the menu which has the lowest choline/sugar/whatever, and making the best out of a poor situation...Have you tried taking charcoal? It might help, if only a bit. Ellie has the best approach, educating her friends, employers and colleagues, but it takes a lot of guts to be that open. Every day with this condition takes a lot of guts...So why are we so ashamed of suffering with it?..When to tell people about it would help us function more easily.....love kx
kittycat

Postby batoli » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi Kittycat
It's a daily struggle but I want to carry on with my life as normally as possible. This is not to say I don't feel hurt and ashamed and all the other feelings that accompany this dreadful illness, but as it is an illness, we should not have to hide from the world. Easier said than done I know, but I am very young and do not want this to define my life. Ellie probably has the right attitude, I really respect her for that. I have not reached that stage yet, one day, once I adjust my lifestyle I might feel the time is right to share with my closet friends. One thing I have learned whilst dealing with TMAU, is just how much food is a central part of our daily lives; be it the morning coffee at work, grabbing a sandwich etc. and with situations like the awful famine in Eastern Africa at the moment, I do feel silly sometimes being so picky with food but then I tell myself, I need to follow the protocol in order for my odour to lessen.

What I hope is to follow a strict, or as near to, regime for as long as possible and gradually introduce small quantities of foods such as chicken back into my diet. I feel as though my general health cannot suffer as a result of this.

I am still confused about rice, potatoes and bread. White rice tends to cause an odour, potatos are ok in small quantities, whilst bread is generally not good due to the soya. Also, do any of you eat nuts? These are a nutrious snack but are not advised but I love peanut butter!!
batoli

Postby batoli » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Some of my staples at the moment are.

- Sweet potato with a little cottage cheese
- Veg egg (white) fried rice with a little ginger, lime, and sesame
- Ritz crackers (although they contain barley, I don't know if this is ok?)
- Fruit smoothies (strawberry, mango, blueberry, apricot)
- Egg white omlette with a little tomato, courgette, olives and feta.
- Lots of green tea

Do you think this sounds ok?
batoli

Postby bpositive » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi Bartoli,

I also like to eat out alot, and before i knew what this thing was i used to really enjoy eating out and my food, i think sometimes i go into a kinda denial and i just shove everything into me, and suffer for a few days, which in a way is self inflicted as with me i think i can control it by cutting out things. I have cut out certain types of bread and coffee completely but i usual have a crossiant for breakfast, or porridge, fruit in the morning too, i have now cut out milk in tea and have it black and also drink lemon tea with hot water. I used to love crisps and eat a couple of bags a day but i do find that i can't eat flavoured crisps but can eat 'ready salted'. They say red meat is bad so i have cut a lot of this out too, but still bring it into diet sometimes. As i am a meat lover i do tend to eat chicken and i usually have it in some sort of sauce. I am still taking rice and spagetti, i don't drink fizzy drinks anymore, there are lots of little changes and the difference for me is big.. but i do have a lot of lapses, maybe because i don't have it as bad i can do this... I would like to be tested though but i don't think i ever will be.. i am such a self helper and seem to just plod along and get on with things. Also dairy is supposed to be bad? I think we all need to find our own way as to what we can have and not, I think TMAU is a big digestive problem as i have always said i believe in excercise and our energy's flowing freely and breathing properly poliates is particulary good i love to stretch it makes me feel so good..and already we are on our way to making a difference. I found that when i get this and i did first notice it over 29 years ago that i would shallow breath and hold my breath somewhat, 'as i would think people could smell me' and this would make me feel lifeless and sluggish and smell more, because i was not breathing enough oxegen in and equal amounts out of my body to.. i believe all this is an added factor i suppose somepeople that have it really bad make think what a load of rubbish but i have lived through this a very longtime and believe me i should know. Hope i haven't gone on to much, all these messages help.

Take care BP
bpositive

Postby kittycat » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi batoli, I was just thinking about you saying that, as you are very young, you didn't want to be defined by this condition. I thought back and although mine developed at 22, so I wasn't that young, I don't think it defined me to my real friends...I saw the boyfriend I had for years at that time, several years later, and he just remembered the fun, (and fights, and make-ups :P ) we'd had. When I tried to remind him that his mum and aunt had told him he ought to tell me 'I had a problem,' and I went to the doc, who said I'd imagined it, and all the tears about people on the bus and at work. He was totally mystified, so it didn't define me for him. It was the same with friends I still have now, but I think the important thing is not to go on about it, and get boring. I certainly think that it would have helped, with employers and work colleagues, if I could have named a condition to explain my odour. I bet they still define me as that tart who wouldn't wash!! :oops: ....Apart from the Ritz crackers, your diet sounds good, kcx
kittycat

Postby smelly » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:51 am

I find it almost impossible to find anything pre-packaged that hasnt got meat, E numbers, dairy, beans, rapeseed oil, onion garlic etc in.

Something Ive been buying when Im out and about and want to eat something as safe as possible, is stuffed vine leaves. I think everything I eat produces a bit of odour on me, but these can sometimes be found with literally just vine leaves, olive oil, maybe harmless herbs and rice, so I reckon these are fairly safe for me. I know sainsburys and waitrose do one 'basic' version but lots of versions with dodgy extras in.

I couldn’t find vine leaves in the database, but grape leaves didn’t have choline in them. The only worry is that the leaves might act like spinach etc which are supposed to use the same enzymes and cause problems (cant remember theory!) I hope these really are safe (my nose cant say forsure). The only other pre-packaged safe food I know of is plain crisps and its getting a bit boring.
smelly

Return to Diet