What's really really low in choline?

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Re: What's really really low in choline?

Postby Ms Bananas » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi all. I do drink coffee, usually three cups a day. I know it's a trigger allright, but I have to have at least one vice. I also drink white/herbal tea, Lipton Summer Fruits Tempation Infusion is very nice. I always use cane sugar in drinks and baking, I have no idea if it's worse than refined white sugar when it comes to choline, but it's healthier. I've now dumped the rice and buckwheat completely, I'm definitely less yeasty so they'll stay gone.

Ellie, I've read that lemons and limes have an alkalizing (tma is alkaline) effect on the body although they're acidic in nature. Don't know if this is accurate or not, but you might want to do some research on that ;)

Yeah, I also like some wheat pasta heaped with spicy grilled eggplant, peppers and courgette.
Ms Bananas

Postby Ellie Girl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi Ms B,

I think lemon/limes are ok for us internally - it's alkaline externally that's the problem (I think?) anyway they have no bad effect on me.

Seriously though - coffee is a major major factor in cabbage,garbage and eggy TMAU smells - it made a massive massive difference for me when I ditched it - massive. Even one cup a day was making me stink. If you need caffeine consider tea (and black is better - milk can have v high TMA levels).

Shania - I do get hungry but the fruit is quite low GI and filling; also, I guess my stomach has shrunk over time. I didn't know about folic acid - thanks for the tip - could you tell me more?

I have tried adding foods back in but it's a no go for me - I can't tolerate them.

Ellie x
Ellie Girl

Postby Ms Bananas » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Hey Ellie. Ok, you've convinced me, I'll leave the coffee alone for three days and see if it works. I'll report back. White and herbal tea are good for me, I can drink them without milk or cream but black tea I can't, it's a bit bitter for my tastebuds. Thanks again for your advice, good night.
Ms Bananas

Postby shania12345 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Elliegirl,

You can buy Folic acid at a grocery store/health food store,at least here in the US and it's cheap. Not sure about the UK though. If not,see if you can buy online. If you google TMAU,you will see they recommend Folic Acid for anyone on the low choline diet. Also,Vitamin B2 is recommended. Hope that helps.

Shania
shania12345

Postby smelly » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:57 pm

When I first read Elliegirls diet list I thought it looked unsustainable, but actually, if you were someone who needed to lose a bit of weight, its like a detox type diet with loads of vitamins and minerals. An awful lot healthier than the turkey twizler diet your average joe eats.

I just wish i could eat the fruit, it gives me the runs :shock: .... :? .... :lol:
smelly

Postby Ms Bananas » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi Ellie, this is now the end of my third day without coffee, it's been hard going, I've had a constant headache. But it really paid off, you were so right.It was a very good time to try this coffee ban because it was That Time of The Month and I could tell there was clear improvement. And when I said I was drinking three cups of coffee a day it was actually six because I drank it from a tall latte glass. This is funny, even though I knew coffee is a baddie I wouldn't have ditched it ever if you hadn't said what you said..massive massive major major :)
So thank you again, and I'll definitely read your food blog if you set one up.
MsB
Ms Bananas

Postby smelly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Yeah, other forum is saying they have found bacteria that feed off caffeine. Sneeky beggers
smelly

Postby Ellie Girl » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:20 am

Ms Bananas wrote:Hi Ellie, this is now the end of my third day without coffee, it's been hard going, I've had a constant headache. But it really paid off, you were so right.It was a very good time to try this coffee ban because it was That Time of The Month and I could tell there was clear improvement. And when I said I was drinking three cups of coffee a day it was actually six because I drank it from a tall latte glass. This is funny, even though I knew coffee is a baddie I wouldn't have ditched it ever if you hadn't said what you said..massive massive major major :)
So thank you again, and I'll definitely read your food blog if you set one up.
MsB

MsB

I am so pleased for yoU! Stick with it - the withdrawal headache will eventually go (but it's a real beeyatch while you have it!) Coffee was the first thing I ditched but it made such a difference. I still want caffeine but limit myself to very infrequent cups of black tea or green tea (tea has a bit of a sulfur content so don't over do it - also avoid milk if you can as it is usually high and TMA)

Food blog coming along in terms of photos - baked a plain flour strawberry pastry yesterday - delicious - all the strawberries melted in the baking and dribbled out over the top like syrup :P

Ellie x
Ellie Girl

Postby Ellie Girl » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:22 am

smelly wrote:When I first read Elliegirls diet list I thought it looked unsustainable, but actually, if you were someone who needed to lose a bit of weight, its like a detox type diet with loads of vitamins and minerals. An awful lot healthier than the turkey twizler diet your average joe eats.

I just wish i could eat the fruit, it gives me the runs :shock: .... :? .... :lol:

I lost a lot of weight on this initially but over a long period of time. I think I have reached a sustainable weight on this now as haven't lost any weight for nearly 3 months and apart from feelin ga bit tired (although I do have a stressful job) and sometimes hungry I do actually feel pretty alert and quite healthy. Will keep you posted as to what my new dietician thinks - she is curretnly analysing it although I don't see her again until September.

Ellie x
Ellie Girl

Postby michaelbarring » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:17 am

Actually ,it is Possible to Get Too Much Choline. The Tolerable Upper Intake level for adults has been set at 3.5 grams (3500 mg) per day. Above this, adverse effects can include low blood pressure, diarrhea, and fishy body odor.
michaelbarring

PreviousNext

Return to Diet