What's really really low in choline?

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

What's really really low in choline?

Postby Ms Bananas » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:15 pm

Hello everyone. I've been on a very strict diet since last July with not much progress. During this time I've had no red meat, organ meat, game meat, dairy, alcohol, soy products, fish, eggs, legumes, green veg, yeast and hardly any sugar. I eat white meat, brown rice, some fruits, some berries, self-made buckwheat/wholemeal rice flour bread (I think buckwheat is high in choline and I know wholemeal in general is too but fiber is essential), a bit of potato and wholemeal rice cakes.
Sounds bad and I guess it is.

Now I'd like to try for a few days stuff that's very very low choline, for an experiment's sake. Think rice might be bad for me too.
Can you suggest any such food items? I'm allergic to many fruits so can't have those. Thanks.
MsB
Ms Bananas

Re: What's really really low in choline?

Postby kittycat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi MsB, as you've been on a low choline diet with no result, perhaps it's something you're missing, rather than something you're eating, that's causing the problem? Perhaps we're all missing this something? Do you take any supps with this strict diet? The only thing you could cut from that diet might be rice, which some people suspect is a problem for them, and the buckwheat. Good luck, hope you get some answers, kc
kittycat

Postby Ms Bananas » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Kc. I haven't had much progress but I've had some, the problem was even worse when I was eating liver, beef, fish oil capsules, green veg and beans. Ive been taking B2 and milk thistle, also probiotics for years of course. Yes, I'm going to ban the rice for a few days, see if it makes a difference at all. Cheers.
MsB
Ms Bananas

Postby kittycat » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:15 pm

I hope I'm not mis-quoting Arun, but he seemed to think that chocolate, then red meat, and fish of course, were the only things we should never eat. The other foods in moderation on week-ends. kcx
kittycat

Postby Ellie Girl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:59 pm

Hi MsB

I avoid all the things you do, also rice, (I think buckwheat is quite bad, like barley?) and I definitely never eat even white meat (chicken and turkey have a bad effect on me). You need to be careful with some berries too, but obviously not as much as with the meat. I'd try cutting out the white meat for a couple od days, and then the buckwheat, etc as a process of elimination. I think it depends on how severe the condition is as to how strict you need to be. Mine is bad so I am pretty strict.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

You don't drink coffee do you? That is a very bad trigger.

Ellie x
Ellie Girl

Postby shania12345 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:06 pm

Ellie girl,

can you tell us what you do eat?

Shania
shania12345

Postby Ellie Girl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:08 am

shania12345 wrote:Ellie girl,

can you tell us what you do eat?

Shania

Not a great deal! I've posted before at length about my diet - be warned - it's very restrictive - and not for everyone but it works for me. weight-wise I'm 5 8 and am down to 53 kgs but I'm working now with a dietician and my weight has stabilised so I'm not losing anymore.

A typical day is:

breakfast: 500g fresh strawberries

mid morning: green apple or red apple or pear (sometimes all three - woo!)

lunch: boiled potato (I think boiling gets some of the sulfur out?) with a couple of carrots (ditto although carrots aren't too bad) with loads of peeled cucumber and an apple

afternoon snack: strawberries/mango/papaya/fruit (never bananas or oranges)

tea: I'll often make a massive scone out of 100g plain self raising wheat flour (make sure it's not a soya mix), a drop of olive oil, salt, pepper, water and have that with cucumber, carrot, tiny amount of chive stalk for flavour, salt, pepper, fried in small amount of olive oil.

evening snacks: fruit and carrots

During the day I'll have lemon tea made from cut squeezed lemons and hot water, a couple of cups of black tea with sugar for a treat, and a couple of cups of green tea for a treat (I think too much tea causes a sulfur problem but it's the only thing I can't kick)

I don't have much sugar.

I know it seems a bland diet but you can make it tasty with lemon juice, lime juice, salt and pepper and very small amounts of chives (but no onion or garlic). On weekends I'll add fresh tomatoes (never tinned or paste - high in choline - fresh are high in sulfur but a couple of a weekend are necessary for my sanity!) and I seem okay with a wide variety of fruit (pineapple, mango, papaya, strawberries, pears, apples) and not too bad with carrot, cucumber, small amounts of potato, courgette (skinned) on weekends sometimes but that's about it.

Oats are very bad for me but as a treat on a weekend I'll maybe have a couple of oatcakes. Other treats I can manage are plain salted crisps in sunflower oil. I never have chocolate or anything with lecithin in. When I really need protein mushrooms are not too bad for me and I can manage say 50g of plain vegetarian cheddar cheese, but I'll have that on a Friday or Saturday only. I never drink in public anymore and I never drink beer or cider. If I want a drink I'll have a small glass of red or white wine at home or with close friends on a Friday or Sat but never the day or night before work or if I have to be in public.

It's amazing what you can create with plain flour and water - if anyone knows how to post a picture on here I'll show you what my 'pretend fishcakes' look like (made with flour, water, oil, and with stir-fried veg - delish)! You can make all sorts of different types of bread and pastry too - just with flour and water - depends how runny or claggy it is.

It's taken me ages to get to the stage where this is acceptable to me - I think about as if I was a diabetic - that I have the choice to eat the bad things if I want but that they will make me very ill if I do. I know my diet may be too extreme for some and I am sometimes very tired but it has made such a difference to my quality of life and to my odour it's astounding. For me although the supplements (chlorophyll, riboflavin, pre and probiotics and antibioitcs) help it is the diet that has made the most significant difference to me. Enough that most days I manage to hold down a very public facing fairly high profile job with a level of confidence I could not have envisaged a few years ago.

It's not perfect but I'm finding a balance that works for me.

Ellie xx
Ellie Girl

Postby kittycat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:52 am

Does no-one eat non egg pasta? I have it with chopped tomato sauce flavoured with mixed herbs, olive oil, and salt. I add garlic, but that's not an option for some unfortunately. Or if tomatoes are too sulfurous, just plain spagetti with salt and olive oil. Maybe some grated mild cheese? kcx
kittycat

Postby Ellie Girl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:42 pm

Ooh yeah, I have that sometimes too. Just plain white non-wheat pasta with olive oil, salt and pepper. Delicious :)
Ellie Girl

Postby shania12345 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Wow Elliegirl,

That is a strict diet,sounds like you mostly eats fruits and veggies. Do you get hungry? Have you tried slowly adding some foods back in? I'm happy for you that you have found something that works for you. You should also take Folic Acid when your on the low choline diet and a multivitamin. Thanks for the reply.

Shania
shania12345

Next

Return to Diet