Rice and crisps

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Rice and crisps

Postby Ellie Girl » Fri May 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi All,

Most days I have a little bit of rice and for a treat sometimes I'll have plain salted crisps (although I know potatoes and sunflower oil aren't the best, they aren't as bad as some things...)

Anyway, for the last couple of days I haven't had either (but I have had a small amount of homemade bread using just plain white self raising flour) and although I am on the 3rd day off antibiotics and 3rd day on of VSL3 antibiotics today there is no residual odour (the residual odour is sort of 'yeasty' and gets noticeable stronger throughout the day).

So I am not sure if it is the rice or crisps. So I am going to try an experiment and have a day with no rice and a day with no crisps and let you know. It all helps!

Does anyone have problems with rice or crisps? I know someone posted to me a while ago that there was sometimes a problem with rice.

Have great weekends.

Ellie x
Ellie Girl

Re: Rice and crisps

Postby smelly » Sat May 28, 2011 11:06 pm

EllieGirl,

This might be just general gastroproblem rather than TMAU=related, but I can smelll a rice cake/gassy smell after eating rice cakes (bacteria eating the undigested rice? and dont know how smell comes out of me - doesnt feel like passing wind,so maybe is TMAU-related?)...when eating actual rice ,as in grains, I cant smell anything but get reactions even whne eating just rice and bit of veg and I have just finished course of antibiotics (I would consider rice one of my 'safe' foods so find this worrying.)

Plain salted crisps dont produce an odour I can smel but from peoples reactions they must have a really bad effect on me. Whenever I try to thinkk why it should be so bad when all there is is oil and potato and salt,I keep remembering a programme where they burnt a crisp and they said it smelled ;fishy; and that there is supposed to be a teaspoon of oi in each crisp :? I dont really understand it Im afraid, but I would agree that they are both possibly a problem. But then so is everything else :lol:

And on home bake bread, what do you use to rise it? Yeast? I have a feeling I have a problem with yeast overgrowth in gut, maybe thats the problem. A few of us have discussed yeast overgrowth in the 'alternative health' section I think. Problem with going that route though is that combining it with TMAU diet andany other personal peculiarities you might have (like mine is sugars) you literally do end up with nothing to eat. And the more you restrict your diet, the more of one particular thing you end up eating, which is supposed to be bad if you have an overgrowth of bacteria because you only absorb so much, leaving more food behind for bacteria to eat, producing gassy smells.??

Oh dear,too late to think straight :lol:I'll try nd have think if I can make any better sense of it later......
smelly

Postby kittycat » Sun May 29, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi Ellie and smelly, I found something about rice causing odour when I was in research mode, and did post the name of the disorder. Can't remember now, and rice doesn't seem to affect me. On the other hand, I remember that I got a bad reaction in Germany when I'd only eaten chips and salad, and smelly said they had probably been fried in rapeseed oil :o which is often listed as vegetable oil. The same would apply to crisps, tho most of the good quality ones are cooked in sunflower oil. In this country.... I ate some in Spain last week so immediately took charcoal caps..... we're desperate, not gullible smelly ;) When I go away (it was a coach tour in 32c :roll: ) it brings back to me the terrible doubt and insecurity of suffering this condition, it's easy to get blase when you don't work so much. Didn't get any nasty moments, and plenty of air kissing at Gatwick, so hopefully might have cracked it :lol: love kcx
kittycat

Postby smelly » Mon May 30, 2011 6:26 pm

I dont know enough about the chemistry of food to know the difference between the diffrerent oils, but the paper says that flours and oils are a problem. kittycat I remember you saying about rice, and at the time there was just so much going on in my head that I didnt pick up on it. People usually have to say things to me at least 3 times before I get it :lol: I'll try and find it again by looking back. I know a book I read on bacterial overgrowth in gut said something about not eating lots of food that bacteria like to eat (because a lot of it will go undigested into the later bits of gut where the bacteria get to feed on it - I think there is something relevant to us, and eating smaller meals is probably a good thing to do?) and i think rice (along with a lot of other foods!) was on the list.......
smelly

Postby smelly » Mon May 30, 2011 6:36 pm

oooo I think Ive found it kittycat.....

Isovaleric Acidemia
An interesting thread on the MEBO site has found this one, which is closely related to Tmau. Sorry I can't cut and paste but anyone interested should look it up. Research has shown an asymptomatic form of this serious illness which causes smelly feet. As I understood it, sufferers should avoid foods containing amonst others, Methionine/Carnitine/Leucine (E641). When you look them up they contain all the usual food suspects, but rice figures highly too. I thought it may explain the Tmau-ers who mainly live on rice, but still have odour problems?
kittyx

oh wow, rice might be off the list as well then. I need to look up this list of foods for this condition......
smelly

Postby kittycat » Mon May 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks for finding that smelly :D .... While we're talking about rice...I remember a chef telling me that it can be dangerous if not cooked and stored properly. FYI, Wiki says it can infect us with Bacillus cereus which is an enterotoxin not destroyed by boiling for hours :cry: and causes chronic skin infections and as well as diarrhea. kc
kittycat

Postby smelly » Tue May 31, 2011 7:21 pm

Ironically the squits might be good for us - less build up of bugs! :lol:
smelly

Postby kittycat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:47 am

:lol: You're on your own with that Greta.....I live in fear of needing antibiotics, and starting the last 39 years all over again... :? kx
kittycat

Postby Ellie Girl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks peeps :)

I haven't had rice now since that post and no yeasty smell. I have though had plain crisps (sunflower oil) and no obvious odour, and plain wheat flour (self-raising) with no yeast and again no obvious odour, so I wonder now if I have a problem with rice. Which is a worry for me as it's my main staple but the yeasty smell that I can always smell (even low level) is gone and rice it the only thing I'm doing differently.

Bummer :?
Ellie Girl

Postby smelly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:33 pm

In yeat/candida diet books they usually say to be careful with how you store rice after its cooked. I regularly make a bit extra a of a rice dish and put in the fridge to take to work next day but they say if you have aproblem with yeast and are trying to avoid it, you should always eat it fresh. A few of us have said we think there is a bit of a battle within us between bacteria and fungus/yeast, especially now we are taking antibiotics, because thats a green flag for the fungus to take over. I think I have the same mouldy yeasty smell you are talking about, and I think it was lyndsey said she could smell it as well. Dont want to confuse the issue for you but its worth baring in mind. Im psyching myself up for abig push to start eating to reduce fungus/yeast and taking antibiotics, so this is good to know about that rice seems to be causing a yeasty smell in you, because that tells me I need to be a lot more careful with eating rice, how i prepare it etc.
smelly

Next

Return to Diet