lack of omega-3 fatty acids /Chia Seeds

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

lack of omega-3 fatty acids /Chia Seeds

Postby idealist » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi Guys,

My laptop has now been fixed :D

before 2009/2010, I lived on mostly organic brown rice, gluten free pasta, fish (now and then), vegetables and eggs (with the odd cake in my hand/mouth).

That was before I goggled what I smelt like, I then discovered TMAU. I stopped eating eggs and fish and now I am living the life of a vegan :? No it's not bad, I was heading down that direction anyway. The type of lifestyle I lead suits eating vegan food (although I do drink goat's milk and eat cheese now and then).

Anyway I have been struggling to concentrate. I feel so exhausted and my nails which are normally healthy and grow long are now brittle and break every few weeks(and it is not because of the weather).

I read that a lack of omega-3 fatty acids (which is often found in fish, Eggs.....) can cause
Depression
Cardiovascular Disease
Type 2 Diabetes
Fatigue
Dry, itchy skin
Brittle hair and nails
Inability to concentrate
Joint pain

I am sure you guys already know this....

I know that there are alternatives such as flaxseed. However I did read in another post, I think Kitty said that Flaxseed was a no no. I only have it in the egg free mayonnaise not on any other ocasion.

Anyway as I like to travel and I use to eat mostly vegetarian food, I follow this blog called Veganbackpacker (has travellers writing were to find food without meat, eggs, fish in distant lands). I went on there recently for some pancake day recipes and discovered Chia seeds.I know it is sold readily in Australia, however in London it was a struggle to find them, I looked in almost every kind of shop in with no avail!. I ended up ordered them on Amazon, which cost me just over £10 inc p&p.

The pancake recipe (no egg no milk and healthy Chia seed which is higher in omega than flax seeds) is not only simple, nutritious but it is also delicious. I will let you know if in a few weeks (after I have eaten it many times) if it makes my smell any worse and if my concentration/nails improve.
the link for the recipe is below:

http://veganbackpacker.com/blog/vegan-b ... kpacker%29

I hope the rest of you are finding good alternatives
idealist

Re: lack of omega-3 fatty acids /Chia Seeds

Postby shania12345 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Do you eat any protein every day such as egg whites? Just a thought.
shania12345

Postby idealist » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:24 am

Hi Shania,

I eat lentils (mostly over the weekend), egg whites would be a good idea, but I now have connected anything egg related with feeling rotten (I know it's just the egg yolk that is not to be eaten). If the egg white are hidden in a product (such as Quron) I am okay but the thought of touching an egg right now feels wrong.

It's funny how the mind works :twisted:
idealist

Postby kittycat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi idealist, how are you? How did the experiment with the Chia seeds work out? Someone on another forum mentioned hemp milk is good for omega 3, so I emailed the manufacturer, but they replied that 'tho hemp seeds are a natural source of choline, we have never tested for it in our milk' Drats! I'll write back outlining our problem with choline, in the interest of further education....I'm thinking a drip of hemp oil every day might be safer. At least you'd know how much you're consuming..... Having said that, I remember that you tested neg for Tmau, have you found out what twisted little blighter is causing your odour yet? love kc x
kittycat

Postby idealist » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi Kitty,

I am swamped by essay writing and preparing for exams. Hope your well? glad you enjoyed your holiday. My nails are back to normal and I am now able to concentrate (although I think the sun has helped in regards to feeling more refreshed). Look forward to reading your upcoming post.
xx
idealist

Postby kittycat » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:21 am

Hi idealist, I thought you were busy with studies (or eloped with that lecturer :D ) well done for sticking it out. We all know how difficult it can be...I've been dripping hemp oil on spagetti/chiabatta etc. and it's made me feel much better. I was on a strict diet for several weeks over my hol and, apart from my knees killing me, I felt very foggy brained. I was really worried I'd shoplift :( ...We really need omega 3... Really hope you can come to the 4th June meet-up, it would be great to meet you :) love kittyx
kittycat

Postby aileefa » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:21 am

Why do I have to store Prenatal Omega 3 suppliments and prenatal multivitamins at room temperature? I am just curious because I have a bottle of omega 3 supplements (prenatal) and they were left out in the car for about 8-9 hours and it was -22 degrees Celsius and it says on the bottle in bold print to store at room temperature on a dark dry place... Is the Omega 3 in the capsules no longer good, like does the DHA and others break down and are no longer useful?

Return to Diet