Oils

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Re: Oils

Postby Maisie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:51 am

I've been using Lurpak spreadable butter thinking that butter is ok but when I looked on the packet the thing that makes it spreadable is vegetable oil. It doesn't say which oil so I e-mailed Lurpak to find out and it turns out it's rapeseed oil which, from what I've read on this site, is one of the ones we have to avoid. Can anyone suggest anything that is ok to use (and easy to spread!!!)?
Maisie

Postby smelly » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:45 pm

Good work maisie.

I am going to avoid veg oil whenever possible and go for olive oil instead. There are spreads that use olive oil but I'd bet they have lecithin in as well. I havent come up with an ideal spread, because even pure butter has the milk in it which contains choline I think?

The only sense I can make of this is to use pure 100% butter and use it very sparingly. When you start to ration it, you find that a tiny amount gives a lot of taste! You can cut a thin slice off the pack and keep it somewhere cool but not in the fridge, so its a bit more spreadable and ready to use as you need it during that day? I use organic because I think it might be better because the cows might not be wheat fed? (I think organic cows are free roaming and eat grass rather than held in crates and wheat and soya? Never got any feedback from anyone on this so dont know if thats correct but it doesnt hurt to use organic dairy in the meantime....)

Also, I find that a little olive oil drizzled on bread, toast. ciabattas etc can taste almost as nice as butter once your taste buds adapt!
smelly

Postby smelly » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Kittycat, thanks for the info on the omega 3 oils. Im just catching up on all this - how important they are. Im reading a book on how to avoid having to take medication if you are feeling depressed. It mentioned scientific trials that showed that exercise and eating omega 3 oils makes a bigger difference and the effects last longer than anti depressant medication. And we are avoiding all the stuff with omega 3 oils in eek!
smelly

Postby kittycat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:11 am

Hi smelly
Get that winter squash down yer!
It's hard to know sometimes if we're depressed cos of what life throws at us, or if it's medical. There's a lot of depression in my family with several suicides, my sis was bipolar and my mum had me at 40 and suffered mental breakdowns all thro my childhood. I think I had a breakdown at 10 when I realised I had no one actually looking after me! By the time I reached puberty, mum was menopausal and our house was a hell-hole :( (bro and step-father acted like nothing was happening :lol: sis off to be in showbiz) When I was young I would never have taken anti depressants, they turned my mum into a veg, which was a relief all round. When I started the change( try coping with tmau when you're having hot flushes :oops: ) I was offered prozac and decided that, as I lived alone with no effective safety-net I couldn't afford to go as mad as my mum, I'd give in and take it. Apart from stopping the flushes it also, far from making me vege, cleared my brain and gave me strength. Obviously I don't make my own seratonin, and if it had been available in the 1950/60/70's might have helped the relatives. Years later I still take it and the doc has given up the yearly arm-wrestle to take me off it. He blames 'un-resolved childhood issues' and suggested cognative therapy but I feel it's too late for me. I had to weigh up how much time I have left, it's a bit like stopping saving and starting spending, the rainy day is here!! Good luck with the exercise, that def helps. Kx
kittycat

Postby kittycat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:22 pm

Other health benefits just occured to me... I'd always suffered with painful sinus' and sciatica, those cleared up. Also older sibs and mum had high cholestrial/blood pressure whilst I don't. I'm not suggesting treating those complaints with antidepressants but some physical illness might be caused by low mood. Discuss :lol: Kx
kittycat

Postby smelly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:39 pm

oh kittycat Ive just just lost a long winded reply I was about to post - must have got logged out - i'll see if i can remember what the heck I was wittering on about and try typing it again. phhsdiuahiawtfehoewuf!!!!!
smelly

Postby kittycat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:53 pm

I hate it when that happens! Kx
kittycat

Postby smelly » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:26 pm

kittykat, i cant recreate the slightly amusing post i tried to send inresponse to yours, so i'll just say that my family and upbringing sounds very simillar to yours. I suspect that years and decades of stress cause a lot of health problems that might not have surfaced otherwize. Thanks for saying how you are getting on with Prozac because i’ve been struggling with whether to go that route myself and it is very encouraging to hear someone with a positive experience. Its given me something more to think of ;)
smelly

Postby kittycat » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:32 pm

So glad you managed to reply, I was worried I'd pushed you over the edge, as I remember you saying sometimes you just had to turn off. Sorry you had a bad upbringing, not as bad as f and r west etc. . .I always remind myself, and give thanks for. Prozac... no good for long term use if you're young, as it makes you sexually dysfunctual, more noticable in men tho. It stopped those stink bombs that happen when adrenalin makes tma radiate out of you like an atomic blast! On the other hand it's not supposed to be addictive and might be an option for those going through real mental torment to help get out of that black bottomless pit :cry:
I remembered another bonus when Lisa menched her dog dying. I lost my 22yr old cat in my 40's and half my hair fell out ,but then my 17 yr old died a couple of years ago and, whilst I was heartbroken, I kept the barnet :D I've now got a deaf, :( frail 19yr old and I'm bracing myself. I hope I haven't depressed anyone but lifes not all sweet lavender, as we know! Kx
kittycat

Postby SmellyKelly2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Kittycat
That interesting what you say about Prozac I may consider it now.
I have been offered it many times, but did not realise that it may help with the stink bombs.
With this illness I have developed a hugh anxiety when going out in the general public and always over heat (ok when I am at home), but with the overheating comes the terrible smell.
SK
SmellyKelly2

PreviousNext

Return to Diet