some tmau protocol advice please

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Postby Adrian » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:16 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been on a tmau diet for about a week, I was wondering if anyone who has don ethe same sort of thing what they think about my diet any changes I could make? Also the time in which I should expect to see some results it's been a week on a very strict diet and I havent seen any results yet, in university just about 5 minutes after I had showered I could hear people muttering to each other that there was a bad smell. There wasn't that I could smeel so I can only assume it was me.

breakfast: soda bread, corn flakes, green tea
Lunch: tomato soup, pasta with home made tomato sauce
dinner: rissotto with home made stock (low in coline no onions or garlic or anything like that), tomato and basil pasta, rice with roast vegetables and lemon juice.
snacks: carrot sticks, cucumber skinned with a quarter of a lemon squeezed over it and an avocado.

I also take charcoal tablets three times a day after every meal.

I usually choose one thing from the list for each meal and a snack or two a day depending on how hungry I am. I have not been tested for tmau my plan is two try the diet for a month then go back on a high coline diet for a couple days and take the tmau test by mail order (any advice on the best way to go about this, magsie has already helped me with this thanks hun :-)

Any advice is welcome, thanks.
Adrian

Re: some tmau protocol advice please

Postby shania12345 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Some people say that tomatoes make them smell so I would cut down on the tomato soup and only use a little bit of tomato sauce. Some people takes a month or 2 to see any results. I have been on the diet for 4 weeks now with no results.

Shania
shania12345

Postby smelly » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Can you smell this odour yourself? If you cant, then going low choline now isnt really going to help you decide anything. If you are going to pay for the test anyway, I would eat normally now, and get tested as soon as possible (loading up on choline prior and timing it for menstruation if you are female.) If you eat low choline now you are giving your body a chance to get rid of built up choline/ TMO BEFORE you are tested. I dont know but it might make a difference if you are borderline TMAU? I would want ot get a once and for all result quickly becasue it might take a while for the results to come back from lab. Once you have sent away the kit you could go on the low choline diet if you think its making a difference and gives you peace of mind until you get the results. But if the results come back negative dont carry on with the restrictive diet out of desperation, because you will be eating more of a smaller number of foods, and might end up eating more of something you dont know you are intolerant to (as in food sensitivites for example.) My diet is pretty restricitve and Im forcing myself to be more aware of this problem myself.
smelly

Postby smelly » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:00 pm

And adrian, watch the charcoal tablet intake because they are absorbing a lot of the limited nutirents you are currently digesting. I myself think they might not be the big saviour we hope they are. certainly I dont notice a reduction in peoples reactions when Im taking them. Maybe the odour level is slightly less but if the reaction from people is the same its hard for me to tell. I think the advice in the scientific paper was to take them for a week or two then have a break to let your body get some nutrients from the food for a bit. If you start getting malnutrition your going to get smells a plenty when your body starts breaking down. Something nice for us all to have nightmares about tonight. Pip pip :shock:
smelly

Postby kittycat » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi Adrian
Sorry this has come along to spoil what should be a great time in your life, but as Shania says it will probably take longer than a week to see improvement. I eat tomatoes though, I thought they were ok. You learn something every day on this forum.
Are you wearing trainers ? They used to stink the room out in minutes when I wore them and washing them made things worse. But any shoes could be impregnated with tma from your pre diet days. I wear washable shoes like Merrells and Crocs when no-ones looking, but they'd probably ruin your street cred. You might find something wearable in TK Maxx, if that doesn't bother you.
If I had my time again I would try to be be more open with the people around me instead of being so mortified and ashamed. And I'd confront anyone who said anything, and explain the condition to them, instead of going rigid with fear and embarrassment, but that's easier said than done. In short, do print-outs of the tmau info and hand them to your tutors and mentors and bring it out into the open. Ask for help and support. 'Stinky' went on national TV and has said that it helped her and she received nothing but sympathy. Stress makes it much worse, is there something that lowers your stress? Running, yoga? I think we can produce our own choline, like people on low cholesterol diets can still have high cholesterol.
I've just been to a carvery and eaten beef, cabbage, beef gravy etc followed by waffles and ice cream washed down with red wine. Tomorrow I'll have mackerel in oil and then do my sample and send it off. If it comes back negative for tmau I'll ask my doc for a nhs one, and a 'script for vit B2. Don't know if any of this helps you, but I mean well. Let us know how you get on, love kittycatx
kittycat

Return to Diet