Working out Triggers

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Working out Triggers

Postby Fedup » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:24 pm

Can someone advise how long after eating something it should take to trigger a reaction, if it is going to?

I was diagnosed pre Christmas and am currently trying to work what I can and can't eat. Thanks in advance!
Fedup

Re: Working out Triggers

Postby Ruby » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Hello, i recently spoke to a dietician and asked how long it takes to metabolise foods. She said anything between 12-24 hours. I find that if i have eaten something like fish it is almost exactly 24 hours later that i start to smell fish in my urine and i assume this is when all the rest of my body is smelling its strongest. Everyone is different though.
Ruby

Postby treacle » Sat May 23, 2015 6:09 am

I only have very mild symptoms occasionally now after getting on top of this condition, but if i eat something very high in choline i will get symptoms within 2-3 hours
treacle

Postby Maisie » Sat May 23, 2015 6:55 am

Hi Treacle

I'm interested in you saying you've got on top of the condition. I must admit I haven't stuck to the diet recently and am therefore having problems with the smell. Can you tell me what you eat generally?

I've got a week off now for half term so I'm thinking about having a really strict week and seeing if it helps (apart from on Thursday when I'll be going out for lunch with some old work colleagues!).

Thanks

Maisie x
Maisie

Postby treacle » Sat May 23, 2015 7:15 am

Hi Maisie
For me it was a combination of eating healthy clean food (no junk food, lots of fruit and veg); avoiding alcohol and very high choline foods (eggs, soya, lecithin, meat, fish etc); and taking 2 supplements, B2 and activated charcoal (Gastone brand are AMAZING). I would advocate taking the charcoal after every meal and first thing in the morning and at night to kick start an improvement in symptoms. Unless you have taken antibiotics i would avoid probiotics, they're a waste of money and dont help.
Funnily enough, it wasnt until I started to make an effort to eat a LESS restricted diet for the sake of my health, while at the same taking a lot of charcoal daily, that I finally saw an improvement. And now I find i can enjoy loads of things IN MODERATION that I wasnt eating before cheese, tofu, beans, milk, coffee, alcohol, white meat, quinoa. Lowering stress levels and getting lots of sleep is also really important. good luck!
treacle

Postby Maisie » Mon May 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Thanks for your reply Treacle.

I was diagnosed in 2010 and veer between trying to be strict and then eating anything and everything! I really need to try harder but sometimes it seems so unfair that we can't eat something "normal" without worrying about it.

Enough of the self pity! This week I'm going to have a good week!!!

Maisie x
Maisie

Return to Diet