Probiotics and supplements

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Probiotics and supplements

Postby Lisa » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm taking Metroidazole, 3 times a day, for a week, do I need to take probiotics when I've finished the course, and if so, what sort? The type you buy in supermarkets? Also, what about supplements, ie: Vit B and Riboflavin? Please can you advise, my GP wont even take my phone calls. If someone could tell me asap, that would be great. Many thanx
Lisa

Re: Probiotics and supplements

Postby OptiBac » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Hello,

I do represent a probiotics company, so want to be fully open before I start!

It is a good idea to take a probiotic supplement during a course of antibiotics - in order to balance out the body's good bacteria. Probiotics can, and most probably should, be taken alongside antibiotics - but ideally an hour or so after the ingestion of antibiotics (this way the two do not destroy each other on the way down). You can find many high quality probiotic supplements, have a look on google for 'probiotics'. I would highly recommend taking a probiotic supplement as opposed to a yoghurt or yoghurt drink - these often contain very high amounts of sugar and lower amounts of the probiotics themselves.

We have in fact had a customer recently come to us and teach us about TMAU - since taking the daily probiotic (recommended by his local pharmacist) his benefits seem to go further than simply rebalancing beneficial microflora which had been lost from taking antibiotics. It seems that for him at least, probiotics are helping to combat the causes of TMAU.

I hope this information is helpful; I do not want to come across as simply pushing my own product! But it does seem that probiotics could actually be a very good idea for a metabolic condition such as this.

Best of luck,
Soraya
OptiBac

Postby Lisa » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:46 pm

hI, THANKS FOR THAT INFO, i HAVE SPOKEN WITH MY DOCTOR THIS MORNING, HE SAID TO TAKE PROBIOTICS AFTER COURSE OF ANTIBIOTICS, ITS SO CONFUSING. tHE ONES i HAVE ARE THE ONES WITH MULTIVITAMINS IN ALSO.
Lisa

Postby smelly » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 pm

Hi Lisa, my guess is take anything rather than nothing, if you are currently taking th e antibiotics and about to finish them.

i myself took them about half way through the course of antiibotics on the basis that the current bugs would be reduced a bit in number giving the new ones a chance to get a hold and the antibiotics would kill them both at same rate but I would be shovelling in more and more of the good 'uns so they would hopefully get the upper hand. (that of course is wildly simplistic and not very likely, but Im working on my 'positive imaging', imagin gthe way you want things to be, to bring it about in real life :lol: )

My feeling is that its best to get probiotic with a good range of bacteria rather than justa couple of strains because i dont think anyone knows for sure which ones are going to thrive best in you and do you most good.

if the ones you got were not stored in fridge in shop/during delivery then hopefully they are 'temperature stable' which means the bugs should survive at room temperature (usually they might die in box before you get to eat them!)

With anything you are taking orally that you want to get past your stomach in on epiece it should be 'enteric coated'.

theers very little research that i can see, usually just for diseases that you can actually measure the effect to see which probiotic worked. with TMAU its a bout measuring the effect on a smell that can smell completely different , even be absent , depending on whos doing the smelling. kind of existential. Schroeders cat pee smell @ Is success when YOU cant smell anything anymore, or when your loved ones stop gagging, or when the strange one at work stops holding their nose at you? (and should we really care?!)

Again, just my feeling, but I think there will be lots of people ready to extract cash out of this because its a bit like the whole colon cleanse/candida/ parasite/IBS bandwagon - you cant definatively test before and after taking these 'medicines', that are usually bought online from who knows who, that happens to have set up a flashy website storefront, but is actually making the stuff in a dodgy garage! so watch yourself and your money---and your intestines. it would be a good question fo rlachmann when you see him. unfortunately when the questionaire from this site was sent to him to answer, i hadnt managed to get a test result and diagnosis so i hadnt even started thinking about probiotics and such, to ask him.

About riboflavin (B2) you might get a cheaper prescription and more safe reliable source when you see Lachmann, if oyu can hold off till then. i think B12 has stuff in we are trying to avoid so check it out but i think you dont want to take that or I think B50 or a general B vit for same reason. (though that means we are going to be getting nutirent deficient if we are not very very careful......)

the pH soap thing is worth doing. I think johnson and johnson basic one is in right ph range (bit acidic). If you have time email some manufacturers asking what actual ph their washing and moisturizng products are (they apparently should hav ethis to hand.) I have been meaning to do this for a bout a year and not got round to it. there is an old list knocking about on web but the actual products have changed names and the ph can change dramatically from version to version. if you get a response can you please post the list and i'll do same if i get an energy spurt!

Need sleep :shock:
smelly

Postby Lisa » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:21 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I s'pose all I can do atm is wait til I see Dr. Lachmann. The pills I'm taking atm are Metroidazole (sp), they are making me feel sick, dizzy, with a slight headache, I phoned the nurse, and she said that these particular pills do make you really ill, so I'm plodding along, anything to help. It's just all so confusing as to what to take, and not what to take. Can I ask what probiotics you have? The ones I have are called Multibiotic? (Not kept in fridge, off the shelf). Have also bought charcoal tabs, but dont know when to take these either, my doctor is non the wiser. Grrr. Look forward to your reply.
P.S. May I also ask what you eat for dinner/tea? I'm surviving on chicken and rice. Help!
Lisa

Postby smelly » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Lisa,

I am taking Jarrow Formula probiotics, purely at randon based on price i was prepared to pay, and the other factors I wrote about and i had heard on some chatboard someone had success using them. But the success could have been more to do with the other many factors /treatments the person was trying at the time so please dont just buy them based on that because they are not cheap - any of these more advanced probiotics - i think mine were about £35/40 for 120 tablets and they recommend between 1 and 4 per day....

I bought mine from an online store for convenience at the time, but if you have a good health food store nearby I would get them to buy them in for you if they dont have the ones you want in stock. They would also be able to give you advice, which is worth A LOT. Plus they will give you confidence about the quality of what you are buying whereas online i always feel you are taking a bit of a risk unless you know who you are dealing with...

If ones you buy ARE temperature sensitive maybe still keep in fridge because mine said 'stable up to 22oC' but my house can get a lot hotter then that in summer and if you kill the bugs before you eat them you've wasted your money.

I tried searching for your multibiotic to see if they look any good, but i cant find them. Does the label say how many live bacteria are in them and if they are temperature stable? they arent PRE biotics are they?

Charcoal tablets are just for short term use because they will also absorbb nutirents from your food so I am using them just for emmergencies like if I have to eat food someone else has made so it will have stuff in I cant handle, or over my period when women might get worse odour because of hormone surge! Dont take then all the time or in mega quantites.)

Food - I'll have a think and post under FOOD, because its easier to look back at what everyones said if its under the correct title :)
smelly

Postby smelly » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Ps looking back at posts, I just realised someone haad posted just prior, saying they sell probiotics on internet and then i start warning of the dangers of buying 'medicines' over the internet without checking out the set up - sorry! nothing personal, Im sure your probiotics are just great.... ;)
smelly

Postby OptiBac » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi smelly, thats ok!

Youre probably right to a certain extent - there are lots of probiotics out there, and maybe some of them are made up in someone's dodgy garage! I would like to add though, that taking a high quality probiotic from a brand that you can trust is a good idea.

And to Lisa, I hope its not too late now, but the answer is to take probiotics during your course of antibiotics, but not at the same time. The reason that doctors used to say (and some still do, evidently) that you should take them separately is because antibiotics do kill off good bacteria. So if you literally take them at the same time, the effects of the probiotics are rendered useless. However, what we recommend at OptiBac is to take your antibiotics, wait an hour or so, until the antibiotics have been through your system, then take your probiotics - so that this way, every day you are topping up on good bacteria that you would have lost. If you wait until the end of the whole course of antibiotics, you may find that you have side effects by then, such as thrush or diarrhoea.

Hope that helps. All the best,

Soraya
OptiBac

Postby Lisa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Noe he tells me. :( . LOL. My doctor, neither use nor ornament said to take probiotics after antibiotics. Grrrr.
Lisa

Postby OptiBac » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Ha ha. Ok well better afterwards than not at all.

All the best, S :)
OptiBac

Next

Return to Diet