Food

Diet info and questions.

Moderator: admin

Food

Postby smelly » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Has anyone had access to a dietician to get some ideas of meals and amounts of ingredients that will give enough choline/TMO to keep you alive but the minimum possible to help reduce the smell?

Would they be prepared to give some hints if they are not allowed to directly publish the info on this site?

I watched the Embarrassing Bodies programme with a pen and paper poised to write down what the lady ate on her special diet and to my disappointment it just showed her chopping up some peppers and an aubergine or courgette and mixing it in with some pasta. This is what i eat every day for most meals, maybe substiting pasta for cous cous or rice. I need some other ideas because everything i would usually eat is a trigger food (from what i have read on help sites). Im wasting away because the food is so repetative and bland Im losing my appetite, and i darent go back to normal food now that I have an indication I might have this condition and food may be a trigger.

I know there are sites that give values for choline etc and I will eventually get round to sitting and working out weights of food portions, balancing proteins/carbs etc and sort it out, but at the minute Im exhausted just getting through the day at work on so few calories and I cant really concentrate enough to get it done. If I could just add a little more variety to my diet to stimulate my appetite or add more protein at a 'safe' level, it might help me get some brain power back to be able to look after myself better.
smelly

Re: Food

Postby sunny » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:04 pm

Hello
I had exactly the same comment as you ! I was really disappointed as I watched the Embarrassing Bodies programme too...I wanted to know what can we eat to keep the choline down ! I have seen lists on sites but it is not very easy to understand. I understand it is not good to eat meat, fish, eggs, green vegetables..so what can we eat ? If anyone has any lists of what is low in choline...many thanks. A long time sufferer.
sunny

Postby magsie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi,
Saw on another website - dont know if I can mention it on here. But its another TMAU help website
Bloodborne Body Odour website, & I came across TMAU management protocol. The article says the dietry choices were discussed when people suffering met up in London last summer.

.http://www.bloodbornebodyodorandhalitos ... 20protocol
The website details are above.

There does appear to be a wider range of foods on there than you'd think we could risk eating. Particularly for those of you who like chips, it suggests oven chips are ok to eat, and they'd be filling too.
It mentions curry so long as it does'nt contain onions/garlic, but I dare'nt eat any spicy foods at all, 'cause I find it affects me.
Its interesting to have a look at it anyway. Because the choline content of foods via the American website is'nt that easy to understand. Wish we could have a list of foods, but colour coded - like for losing weight. Could have green against foods we could eat that should'nt cause us TMAU problems, yellow colour against foods to eat in smaller quantities, and red coloured foods that most likely cause us problems, so avoid at all costs, or eat when you've the weekend off work or are on holiday!
magsie

Postby smelly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Last edited by smelly on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smelly

Postby smelly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:13 pm

Last edited by smelly on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smelly

Postby smelly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Last edited by smelly on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
smelly

Postby smelly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:41 pm

Last edited by smelly on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smelly

Postby smelly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Last edited by smelly on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smelly

Postby magsie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Wow,
You have been busy posting this very useful information. What an Angel you are, I'm sure its given us all 'food for thought' . One of my favourite foods is ice cream, and I've got semi-skimmed milk 'cause its 'better for heath', but when the Choline content's higher than normal milk, its worse for TMAU sufferers.
When I've had a bad day at work (smelly day) I'll probably buy a small bar of fruit & nut chocolate to nibble on the 'bus on the way home..to try & cheer myself up & i never have any lunch.. yet chocolate & nuts are'nt helping me either!
Have to have another read & think of something else when I need a pick me up or a treat.!
Thanks for the very useful post
Magsie
magsie

Postby smelly » Sat May 22, 2010 9:09 pm

I was trying to find out why TMAU diet recommendations are to limit milk, specifically from WHEAT FED cows. Didnt really understand the reasoning behind it or what alternative would be (how do you know what cow was fed on when buying milk?) Anyway, while searchiing net, I read a couple of (maybe) interesting things.

One paper said that cows can have TMAU, like humans, ....I wonder if that means we can take in cows excreted smelly compound from milk?.....I need to see if I can find article again and see details.

Another paper said that cows that are mostly GRASS FED are free-roaming (therefore milk will be labelled ORGANIC, maybe?), whereas intensively farmed cows (kept in stalls in sheds?) are fed cereals (presumably this includes WHEAT?), SOYA, additives......... So maybe we should try and use organic milk/dairy products?

Does that make sense to anyone? I never know whether things I read at 3 o'clock in the morning when I have insomnia are relevant or not! Too tired/stupid! :?

I just wanted to put it out there in case someone more switched on than me can make more sense of it..... :geek:
Last edited by smelly on Thu May 27, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smelly

Next

Return to Diet