child denied education because of odour

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS - READ HERE

Moderator: admin

child denied education because of odour

Postby malory » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Maybe some of you may already have heard about this tragic story of a child of 8 who has been suspended from school because of her odour condition.

http://www.wjhl.com/story/21847947/2013 ... elling-bad

I think it is shocking stuff and I think it would be good if our community could come together to support the family and educate Washington's education system about odour conditions.

I intend to send the letter attached via e-mail to the 15 schools in Washington contactable via the following link ; to Karla Kyte (elementary education director), Shannon Bishop (school health supervisor) and Susan Kiernan (public relations), (all contactable via the following link(go to Board of Education page then Quick links then telephone directory) and also the board of education directors (I have listed their e-mails below).

http://www.wcde.org/education/school/sc ... 1055c3df59

bbrinkley@eastman.com
ervinmilkman1@aol.com
tag0220@yahoo.com
dlhammond1@centurylink.net
jackleonard@embarqmail.com
clarencem@smamusements.com
williamsmasonry12@gmail.com
silversm@wcde.org
mclainp@embarqmail.com
moorej@wcde.org
moneyj@wcde.org

The gist of my e-mail will be:

As a British primary school teacher and a sufferer of metabolic malodour disorder, I was outraged to read about the case of the eight-year-old child in a Washington school who was suspended because of her pungent odour. Although I realise that the majority of people, including medical professionals, are ignorant about metabolic odour disorders such as Trimethylaminuria (TMAU), I am very disappointed that an educational establishment within a country which claims to be forward-thinking and tolerant of people’s differences, can react in such a damaging and hostile manner towards an innocent family in need of support.
Undoubtedly, the victimised child concerned has an incurable metabolic disorder beyond her control. The actions of the school have:
1. shown a complete disregard for the psychological wellbeing of the child and family.
2. further increased the mental scarring of the young person having to deal with this socially alienating condition.
3. stigmatised the disorder to such a degree that the child and her family will have lost faith in their ability to lead normal lives. (No wonder the poor parents went to the media . They had no choice!)
4. violated this child’s human rights and jeopardised her education.
I would suggest that the school:
• apologise to the family immediately.
• research the disorder on the websites: meboresearch.org, tmau.org.uk., breathandbodyodour.proboards, rareconnect.org
• educate the school population about the disorder and ensure that the child is supported through it.
malory

Re: child denied education because of odour

Postby malory » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:44 pm

It would be great if as many people as possible could also e-mail the above contacts so that the Washington Education Department get a clear message that discrimination on the grounds of odour should not be tolerated. Even if the school were ignorant of malodour conditions, they could have found an alternative to suspending the child and traumatising him/her in this way.
malory

Postby admin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks for heads up - sent an email to a US based jouranlist who has written about TMAU to give them a red flag, will also email contacts..
admin
Site Admin

Postby kittycat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Will do, Malory.. Only we can understand the confusion all the people in this story feel..so the least we can do is try to explain it to them the best we can.. Kittyx
kittycat

Postby kittycat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:11 pm

kittycat

Postby malory » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Christina Reznack is a reporter at WTXL ABC27 in Tallahassee who is working on a story that will air in a couple of weeks about TMAU. She is looking for people with TMAU to do a skype interview. She is interested in learning more about TMAU and the struggles that people with this condition have. She is located in Tallahassee and would like to do to an in-person, face-to-face interview via Skype. It wouldn't be live, but the recorded conversation and would have cut out bits and pieces to put together a two minute story that would air later in television broadcasts and also be posted on their website. She is really looking for someone who has the condition and is willing to talk about it to spread awareness and share their experiences and struggles.

Christina Reznack, Producer/Reporter
WTXL-TV
"Dedicated to You"
(850) 893-1313 ext.152
creznack@wtxl.tv
malory

Postby shawan23 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:57 am

Well yes, you're right about the media, of course. We do not know which steps the school took prior to this happening.
But I think sending the child home 24 times in this way was definitely not the right thing to do. I think the parents got upset because they felt the school did not discuss the issue properly. Incidentally, I got a reply from one school in Tennessee which agreed with everything I said and was disappointed that the school in question behaved in this way.
shawan23

Return to Read it here