TMAU - Occupational Therapy research

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS - READ HERE

Moderator: admin

TMAU - Occupational Therapy research

Postby admin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Please see below request from Joanne, please help if you can :D (email Joanne directly)

Hi,
I am a third year undergraduate occupational therapy student at the University of Cumbria currently undertaking a research module. I have chosen to research the topic “What Occupational Therapy interventions would people who have Trimethylaminuria find useful” as I have family member who has the condition.

In order to carry out the research, I require volunteers to complete a short e-mail questionnaire. All responses will be kept confidential and the study has been ethically approved bly the university.

I am looking for people over the age of 18 and who either have a formal diagnosis or have not yet been diagnosed. The final research report will be published in the forum with approval from the site administrators.

If you are interested in taking part or have any questions, please e-mail me at s0906010@uni.cumbria.ac.uk.
Thanks,
Joanne Allan
admin
Site Admin

Re: TMAU - Occupational Therapy research

Postby malory » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:16 pm

I have completed this survey and it is very quick and easy. We need to support any initiatives like this which take an interest in our community.
Thank you Joanne for your interest.
malory

Postby admin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:03 pm

done mine as well - only takes 10 mins - so please everyone - do it!!
admin
Site Admin

Postby kittycat » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 pm

I applied to join this research immediately, but although I've opened it a couple of times, I really don't know what's available for odour sufferers in education, already.....Studying from home? Teachers who know about the syndrome, and will arrange a desk near the window, at the back? Support with bullying (even passive bullying, like 'the silent treatment') ? Apart from a few night classes I haven't been brave enough to endure further education, although I hated my job and wanted to. I really admire the forum members who have had the courage...What would have made it easier for you? In short....help!.....kittyx
kittycat

Postby Weak » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 pm

kittycat wrote:I applied to join this research immediately, but although I've opened it a couple of times, I really don't know what's available for odour sufferers in education, already.....Studying from home? Teachers who know about the syndrome, and will arrange a desk near the window, at the back? Support with bullying (even passive bullying, like 'the silent treatment') ? Apart from a few night classes I haven't been brave enough to endure further education, although I hated my job and wanted to. I really admire the forum members who have had the courage...What would have made it easier for you? In short....help!.....kittyx

I am currently going to a university which is probably easy for me since I went straight out of high school so I was used to what goes on in class rooms. At first you die on the inside day after day then there comes a point where you just stop caring, Teachers really cant do anything about it, I had some try and the best they can do is sit you at the back near the open door which is just inconvenient for the teacher next door with his door open or people walking through the hall ways. (I wont even go into my dorm room experience except to say that ive never come so close to suicide before, just to give you one example there were some guys who left dead fish on the ground in the hallways and when they walk past my door they would purposely raise there voices as they insulted me.)

Fair warning, doing something like going to school is NOT for someone who is not mentality strong. It is the perfect mixture of immaturity and frustration and people can lash out at you pretty easily. I dont get made fun of that often because of my football player build but the looks of people just passing them in the hallways and in classrooms, the whispers, the remarks about wanting to go eat sushi after class. Its enough to drive someone insane. I mean if someone just came out and said something to me Id just beat them up severely, but they go this passive aggressive route where my hands are really tied.
Weak

Postby kittycat » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi weak....Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions...I still haven't filled the questionaire but will today, if it's still on-line...
Well done for sticking with your education, it must be so hard on you... Lucky that your build saves you from too much harassment....but it gets sooo boring worrying about smelling. I used to think of all the more interesting things I could have been thinking about, and begrudged the time being wasted on it...Have you got any support from friends and family? kittyx
kittycat

Postby Weak » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Not really, Parents dont know or atleast dont talk about it, and my brothers and sisters are pretty horrible people. They use to make fun of me too, or atleast talk behind my back when they thought I wasnt listening. I had some good childhood freinds though and alot of great memories.
Weak

Return to Read it here