Beneficial e.coli bacteria and German probiotic Mutaflor

antibiotics, nullo etc. - what works for you?

Moderator: admin

Beneficial e.coli bacteria and German probiotic Mutaflor

Postby malory » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:37 am

Clutching at straws i may be, but, as always, I write this in the hope that it may help somebody out there. Please note that I am not promoting the Ardeypharm company in Germany which sell the probiotic containing E. Coli Nissle1917.

A comprehensive stool analysis i did some years ago revealed a deficiency in beneficial e coli bacteria. I found 2 posts on the environmental illness website which discuss beneficial e-coli and they interested me:

quote from an article about e coli:
"A deficiency in this form of probiotic bacteria can result in reduced production of folic acid, the amino acids Tyrosine, Phenylalanine and Tryptophan, SCFAs and also Co-EnzymeQ10"

The administrator of the site posted:
IBS is another common GI condition for which E.coli supplementation (in the form of Mutaflor) has been used successfully in clinical trials. Check out the manufacturer's website for a list of clinical studies on this product -http://www.ardeypharm.de/en/index.php?seite=clinical

The problem is that this product is produced in Germany and is not widely available in many countries. I believe it is not even allowed to be sold in the US at present. To my knowledge it is also the only probiotic supplement containing a beneficial E.coli strain.

The quote you gave on the beneficial effects of E.coli surprised me a bit too. That is some important work it is doing there. Besides impacting methylation and energy metabolism a deficiency would also directly disrupt neurotransmitter metabolism since tyrosine, phenylalanine and serotonin are required to produce noradrenaline, dopamine and serotonin among others!

I am currently trying to obtain this probiotic and used DrMyhill.co.uk to help me order it. I will update on any progress in a few months
malory

Re: Beneficial e.coli bacteria and German probiotic Mutaflor

Postby Suzie » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi Malory,

Just wondered if you tried this product and whether it had any beneficial effects for you?

Suzie
Suzie

Postby PoetFire » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:55 pm

I have a feeling FMO3 probably plays a role in the colon (i.e. present in the colon lining) that ultimately partly controls the composition of the gut flora. With a deficiency of FMO3 my guess is that the flora tends to turn into a sulfide and amine dominant composition which is not very good. I suspect that in humans the gut flora is perhaps our main source of B vitamins and helps in some other ways and when it turns nasty it means B vitamin deficiency (of sorts) and some other problems. I have tried sorting out my gut flora but tend to feel worse on probiotics. At this stage I have no idea how to resolve it (tried FOS powder etc).

Dr Myhill is probably the most forward thinking Dr in the UK but the Doctors union tried to cancel her GP status.
PoetFire

Postby Suzie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:23 am

Hi Malory,

I've just had similar results in a stool analysis test - low amounts of ecoli bacteria. Did taking this probiotic help your symptoms as it's something I'm considering trying...although I am reluctant as probiotics seem to make my symptoms worse rather than better. But perhaps it's because I haven't been taking the right ones?

Suzie
Suzie

Postby gemtree » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:55 pm

This looks interesting
gemtree

Return to treatment