GUT AND PSYCHOLOGY SYNDROME

antibiotics, nullo etc. - what works for you?

Moderator: admin

GUT AND PSYCHOLOGY SYNDROME

Postby lyndsey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi Everyone

Have not been on site on so long hope you are all well. Another member recommended the above book by DR Nastaha McBribe consultant in neurology and nutrition. To be brief she had a child with austism and felt neurology were not doing enough, so spent her time researching, she believes austism, mental health problems etc are caused by abnormal gut bacteria which is passed on through generations and because of antibiotics and current lifestyle of processed foods low fat diets etc this problems will all get worse. Anyway please please get the book explains so much about why the body cant metabolize certain things have just started the introduction diet a couple of weeks ago, I am less anxious already and really believe this is our answer, even though very high choline foods to begin with read how cutting these out is seriously damaging our health.

Lots and lots of love

Lyndsey xxx
lyndsey

Re: GUT AND PSYCHOLOGY SYNDROME

Postby egglover » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi Lyndsey, Thanks for the book recommendation -I'll definitely take a look. My son has autism and I'm convinced he has leaky gut syndrome. His body can't break down the protein in gluten and milk (casein) and when it leaks out of his gut and into his system it's like he's tripping on drugs. I have recently found some great enzymes that he takes with food that help break down the protein and this has really helped. Fingers crossed they come up with an enzyme to help us soon :) I'm convinced that my TMAU is somehow related but not quite sure why or how. The first thing I did when I found out I had TMAU was take an intensive course of anti-biotics and I know people take them several times a year but I do worry that this can cause more problems than it solves for some (not all) people. I've had another test done to see if the anti-biotics have done anything (my reading was extremely high) and unless there has been a drastic improvment I won't be taking them again.
egglover

Postby lyndsey » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi Egglover

My nephew has autism too, and this book describes exactly what you have described because the body cant break down casein it converts into substances like heroin and morphine so there are withdrawal symptoms to it, but once gut is healed you can reintroduce foods the and she explains how to do sensitivity tests as certain diary and lacto free seem to be ok but def not milk .Intro diet has to be done to heal the gut but the diet after that is fine, although you will smell more to begin with. I hope you get as much from it as I have, although it is really difficult but I just keep focusing on this will give me a life back eventually.

Take care

Lyndsey xxx
lyndsey

Postby bubbles » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Hey Lyndsey and co,
My laptop has just been fixed. Like Lyndsey I have read the book Gut and Psychology Syndrome which outlines the Gaps diet and the need for some people to follow this due to having a very compromised gut and highly unbalanced gut flora.

Dr Natasha Campbell McBride is the author and as Lyndsey says she is a doctor of neurology and went on to gain a qualification in nutrition after becoming so frustrated with what the medical profession had to offer in ways of treating her autistic son. Her nutritional advice is like nothing else out there and although the low choline diet has helped many sufferers, I believe it is a band aid, for the lucky ones like myself it can, if adhered to strictly, lower the odour, that is, the number of incidences and the intensity of the odour however it doesnt offer a permanent solution or explain why our bodies are letting us down in the way they are and any deviations from it means that the odour come sstraight back. I am not slating the low choline diet, it has certainly been helpful to me but my worry is that I have to do quite a strict version of this to get results so I fear it may not be healthy long-term, my iron levels have dropped, I am supplementing my calcium as I am getting very little re my diet and getting enough protein is also a problem as well. I also feel that I am having to do without foods with many obvious and well documented health benefits, like eggs, fish, etc.

Dr Natasha believes that the gut should be considered a major organ such is its importance in our overall health particularly our brain health. She believes that over generations our guts are becoming increasingly compromised, with some people feeling the effects more than others based on their life experiences. She believes that having a compromised gut is a source of toxicity, which in turn is fed to the brain and results in many conditions and disorders like autism, a.d.h.d, ocd, depression, dyslexia, etc.

Reasons for having a compromised gut:
Lack of breastfeeding is a major problem, as breast milk is the best way to establish good flora in babies bodies
The use of the oral contraceptive pill is very damaging to our gut flora.
Antibotics have an extremely detrimental effect on our gut flora and wipe out the good as well as the bad bacteria.
Our starchy and surgary processed diet is a major problem and feeds the bad bacteria, for example candida albanis and this overpopuulates to such a degree that it can be no longer regulated or kept in check by our good bacteria, the delicate balance of good and bad bacteria becomes so one sided as a result.

Although I havent started the diet yet as I am waiting for some time off to dedicate myself to it completely and am a bit apprehensive as the odour may get a bit worse to start with (the die-off period) but I feel that this is certainly the best advice I have read on nutrition so far and perhaps offers the most effective explanation as to why we are the way we are. You can get the book on Amazon and if you are like me you wont be able to put it down.
bubbles

Postby PoetFire » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:04 pm

I certainly think that gut dysbiosis goes with 'fecal body odor'. To me it seems to be a syndrome genetically based, but gut dysbiosis may tip people over. The question is whether it is a typical gut dysbiosis or whether FBO is a certain dysbiosis. I reckon probably the latter. My guess is that FMO3 plays some detoxifying role in the colon and if you are deficient it makes your colon more friendly for sulfide and amine producing microbes. That's my guess for the moment. I see TMAU as the first stop of many stations. It's the only diagnosis on offer at the moment. My guess is that if you only smell of fish then the problem is only TMAU.
PoetFire

Postby bubbles » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Poetfire,
Thanks for the comments, my diagnosis (urine) indicated tmau1, the genetic type yet I never had any incidences in childhood or really until my early twenties, I was wondering could the effectiveness of our immune system and certain enymes in our bodies particularly the filtering and detoxifying ones be negatively impacted by gut dysbiosis, I am of the opinion that our organs are all interlinked and I do now believe that our gut should be considered as important as our other organs. My odour isnt confined to just the classic fishy smell. I dont doubt that I have tmau but I am keen to explore other avenues than just the low choline diet as I feel my overall health is being compromised as a result of this but this may be because I have to do quite a strict version to control the odour. Anyway thanks again for your opinions, tmau is so complicated and it is not easy getting your head around the complexities of the disorder, I think you would enjoy the book it offers some very interesting information. :D

P.S I will never give up trying to find a permanent solution to our problem and gaps is something I am going to try as the whole time I was reading the book I was quite hopeful, I cant personally attest to the diet's effectiveness for people with tmau as i have not started it yet, but lyndsey has and her comments have been very positive so far but I can say that the theory behind it all is very interesting and sounds really promising.
bubbles

Postby PoetFire » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:10 pm

personally I think TMAU is just one of many compounds most seem to smell of. I think it has a fish odor, and if this is the only complaint then it is TMAU. Most people seem to complain of many odors, so it seems to me most of the compounds are not being tested. That would make TMAU one diagnosis of many. Personally I think it is more likely to be 'FMO3 malodor' but at the moment no-one is looking to go further than TMAU as a diagnosis.

I think it seems to be often a syndrome with genetics and the gut flora being the 2 main factors. But until researchers accept 'FMO3 malodor' we will not get any answers other than TMAU. Even TMAU2, I suspect they may have a very mild FMO3 deficiency and over time the gut flora turns bad. This is just my opinion.

FMO3 is a drug metabolizing enzyme and this is probably why most research in the future will be done.
PoetFire

Postby malory » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:42 am

Thanks for starting this brilliant thread Lyndsey!

I will definitely get this book as I have long been interested in the link between autism and TMAU. Dr Wakefield (the doctor who believed MMR vaccination can be linked to autism) was doing some brilliant research into the gut bacteria of autistic children and was beginning to find 'IBS-type' similarities among the autistic children who took part in his study; he even named the particular type of IBS symptoms present in autistic children with a specific name. Unfortunately, his research was not completed as his work was discredited (in my opinion, the drug companies making the MMR wanted to sell their product and had to find a scapegoat for the scandal caused by the alleged MMR link to autism). Dr Wakefield was probably on the way to making some very interesting discoveries and connections, perhaps in line with what Dr Natasha McB is suggesting so I am interested in her book.

Bubbles, you are absolutely right that the low choline diet is potentially harmful if taken to the extreme and I think we are right to insist on finding other diets (healthier ones) which can help rebalance our gut flora. Also, if the low choline diet is not addressing all of our odour issues, then we should get off it and get healthy!
malory

Postby bubbles » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Malory, dr Natasha mentions Dr wakefield by name in her short chapter on MMR and autism, now she will say that is not as simple to say that the mmr causes autism but this is what she does say:

That vaccinations are big big business comerically, these are made with profit in mind
How many healthy children are there in today's society? Child hood asthma, eczema, diabetics, allergies, autism, hay fever, digestive disorders, adhd, autism have reached epidemic proportions, these children all have one thing in common according to Dr Natasha, a compromised gut and hence a compromised immune system, Vaccination is a huge burden to the immune system and are according to Dr Natasha made for children who have an healthy immune system and so will react to the vaccine in a predictable way but so many children more than ever have compromised guts and immune systems (the gut and immune system are inextricably linked) and therefore do not react typically. She says that vaccination will not start autism but move a child with an already compromised gut and immunity closer to it. However she does say that if a child has a very compromised gut and immunity it will get sick min some way even if it does not have the vaccines. She says that she has seen a number of children who have not had the vaccines but have still gone on to develop autism so her final conclusion is that it is the state of the childs gut and subsequent immune system that appears to be the decisive factor , not the vaccines and that this toxicity and burden within the body becomes apparent in a number of different ways for some children food allergies, crohns, IBS, eczema, diabetes, autism, etc, etc. I hope I have explained this well enough.
bubbles

Postby malory » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Yes, thanks. You clarified this.
How interesting that her work refers to him. Of course, I don't think he (Wakefield) said 'MMR causes autism' in such a simplistic way, but rather that it could be 'the straw to break the camel's back' in the case of a child with a compromised (or just less than perfect?) immune system. Several factors can contribute to the illnesses the author describes in her book and vaccination is just one of those. As is the case with most of us, it is hard to pinpoint one single instigator for secondary TMAU. I always thought parasitic infection must have instigated mine, but there were other factors which followed later (vaccinations, pregnancy) and may have culminated in my TMAU. I've tried various approaches to rectifying my gut dysbiosis (as have most of us) but I haven't managed yet. I will buy this book soon - it sounds very interesting - and I hope that more forward-thinking people like Dr Natasha McB will keep researching this area. One day, we may make some real progress in how we treat odour disorders and many other disorders as well.
malory

Next

Return to treatment