vitamin B 12

antibiotics, nullo etc. - what works for you?

Moderator: admin

vitamin B 12

Postby smelly » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Has anyone got any info on safety of taking a general 'vitamin B complex' tablet?

I have started taking a 'vit B complex' tablet (which includes B12) because I couldnt find any mention of the info I HAVE BEEN POSTING to say we need to avoid B12. I'll carry on trying to track down where I heard it from. I suspected it might have been a posting on bloodbornebodyodor/curzone/yahoo/vbulletin sites concerning subject of vit B complex tablets but Ive spent best part of 2 weekends looking for it and cant find anything, but they are BIG sites and I was reading everything to do with body odour not just tmau because i think I hadnt had diagnosis at that time. To make it more difficult, they have now shut down the vbulletin board which is the most likely place i would have read it.

To clarify what I THOUGHT the situation was regarding the B vitamins.....for general good health we should be getting lots of the different B vitamins, preferably through food. But we are avoiding choline rich foods, which are the healthy ones, that contain lots of B vits. So by avoiding the healthy, choline-rich foods we are going to be very lacking these B vits. So we might want to take vit B supplements to try and get some of these vitamins.

There is research to show that a lack of certain B vits can CAUSE odour in normal people (Im sure I read this on bloodborne recently, and there was a paper published to back this up and anecdotal evidence from different chat boards to say that taking B2 tablets in particular was beneficial for odour. ) So we had decided on this board that taking vit B2 tablets was worth a shot, excess isn’t stored in body, so maybe taking 3 x 100mg over course of day couldn’t hurt and might help.

Now, the contentious bit in my opinion is whether we should take any other vits and supplements, or if they might add to the odour. This is important because if we are taking tablets that make odour worse we might as well just eat healthily and at least get all the nutritional benefits of the food.
smelly

Re: vitamin B 12

Postby smelly » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Looking at the list of ingredients on some 'vit B complex' bottles shows that some include choline, although it isnt listed on front of bottle. I wonder if the ones that dont list it might have it in anyway?

I have been using the Sainsbury brand which lists: thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (which I have looked up is B3), Vit B6, Folic acid, Vit B12, Pantothenic acid. The actual list of ingredients is: calcium carbonate, maltodextrin, Nicotinamide, Cellulose, Calcium Pantothenate, Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, Silicone Dioxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Magnesium Stearate, Stearic acid, Mannitol, Talc,Folic acid, Vit B12.

Im going to work my way through the ingredients to see if any are is anything flags up as a problem.
smelly

Postby smelly » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Ive spent loads of time trying to understand what role these B vits play to see if I should or shouldnt be taking them, in relation to TMAU odour and general health. The only thing I can understand is that these vits can be used to make choline in our bodies, presumably if we are not eating anough of it. Maybe thats where I read this idea that B complex vits might be bad for TMAU odour - because the body can make choline from them and so we create more odour??? Thats not a bad thing if our body only makes its own choline when we are desperately low in it, but i dont know if thats the case. That paper I put onthe 'periods' thread suggested that estrogen fuels this process of making choline, but i didnt understand if it meant that at the times womens bodies are producing a lot of estrogen, our bodies automatically make more choline. if thats the case, it might not be desirable to flood the body with these building blocks of choline. On the other hand, we really need these vits that we are missing out on by not eating the meat, nuts, eggs etc

After a month or so of taking the Bcomplex vits I have noticed that the dry scaley flaky skin on my hands (that had developed while eating low choline/TMA) has gone. And I was starting to get really low moods, and low energy as well, so on balance Im thinking its best to keep on with the supplements until I hear different. That study where they saw the beginnings of liver and muscle damage when they gave the volunteers a VERY low choline diet, BUT THE VOLUNTEERS DIDNT FEEL UNWELL AT ALL really gave me a bit of a start. The damage could be going on and we dont know about it until theres irreversible damage.....

If anyones due a trip to their TMAU expert, can you ask them if its okay to take a general Bvit supplement? (ie will it increase odour)
smelly

Postby stinky17 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:43 pm

hi, i have penisious anemia and was having b12 injection every 3months but the last time i had it it made me stink quite bad even tho i was following a strict diet so i dont have it any more
stinky17

Postby smelly » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks for letting us know stinky17 :)
smelly

Postby kittycat » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:53 am

I think I've solved the B12 debate. Deficiency of B12, on wiki, says that bacterial overgrowth (and tapeworm :o we'd better stop kissing non-humans, smelly) absorb B12, and commercial B12 is derived from bacteria. It mentions pernicious anemia, Alzheimers and depression (stinky17 get back on those injections now :shock:), so it doesn't seem to be an option to cut it from the diet. Everybody read it now!!!!! and join malory's campaign for research and medical recognition...kcx
kittycat

Postby stinky17 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:09 am

hi kitty kat what does this mean is it good 4 me then? i thought it made me smell??
stinky17

Postby kittycat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:51 am

Well B12 is very important to good health, mentally and physically, and we must all make sure we get enough in our diet. Even though it makes us smell.... The low choline diet is totally deficient. Even a chicken leg only provides 6% daily requirement, so if we don't consume milk and eggs, we need to supplement... Ironically, someone eating burger and milkshake every day would get plenty. And B12 stores well in the livers of normal people...but are our livers normal?

But reading about pernicious anemia was scary Claire, so you must take it seriously, and go back on the injections, if you still need them...love kittycat MD
kittycat

Postby stinky17 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:03 pm

thanks kk i have been feeling very tierd latley i will go get me bloods done 2 c if its that bed ill have 2 go bk on them :(
stinky17

Postby smelly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks for that kittycat, Im taking a general B vitamin now because I agree, its scarey looking at all the organs in your body that are damaged by lack of them. The trick is going to be getting enough to stop any health side effects but not taking in excess amounts in case the body uses it to make choline in body? I didnt fully understand that paper that I put up :? about how different people make more choline than others and under what conditions, but Im working on the idea that the body might make its own choline when we are eating low amounts of choline in food, but taking in massive amounts of the building blocks of choline (B vitamins in tablets), heck who knows :?

I would love to take a good multivitamin and mineral, but every one I look up the ingredients for, either has choline, or the B vits at very (maybe unneccessarily?) high levels which Im not keen on (see theory, above!), or has iron (which a lot of people, I think me included, have odour from), or includes sugar (which Im trying to avoid, encouraged by the 'sugar theory' that has been floated on the bloodbornbodyodor sites.) I tried searching this site for posts where you guys were talking about multivits you were taking but couldn’t find them so maybe it was somewhere else I saw it.....
smelly

Next

Return to treatment