Body wash / shampoo correct pH

antibiotics, nullo etc. - what works for you?

Body wash / shampoo correct pH

Postby smelly » Sat May 14, 2011 7:50 pm

i couldnt find the old posts where we used to suggest which brands were best for low pH, so Ive started a new one

I just tried out my ebay pH strips! and apparently the Sainsbury littles one baby shampoo is about pH 4.5 (maybe even lower because strips end there) which is reallly good if thats what it really is...the sebamed stuff i get online at pH 3.8 is about £5 and I go through one a week if i use it as an allover body wash, where as this will have been a couple of quid max for 500ml. and it says 'paraben free' as well.) Its a shampoo but I dont see why cant use as body wash as well.

Also, dont want to spoil the positive vibe, but i read that fungus likes to grow on skin that is about pH5.5??? so maybe we want to get the pH down below that, rather then just below 7 which might make us a bit more vulnerable to fungal infections????

Feel free to disagree about any of these 'facts' Im presenting here because i havent got time to properly research everything I read and some of it might not be 'science-proof' :lol:
smelly

Re: Body wash / shampoo correct pH

Postby kittycat » Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi smelly, Have you tried baking powder? I sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon on my bodywash, on the massage sponge occasionally, and it's also ok to mix it with your shampoo. It certainly gets the hair clean and removes any product build-up :D I think it's the right ph for us. It's a good cleaning agent...don't know if it would clear your washing machine. I've had great result with the extra hygiene Vanish, thanks for the hint, and also spray 'hot spots' on clothing with Shout. I soak my socks in citric acid and washing powder overnight (like you, used too much and thought it would reach the ceiling!) love kittyx
kittycat

Postby smelly » Sun May 15, 2011 11:47 am

oooooo citric acid pre-soaking , I like, I like! 8-)
smelly

Postby kittycat » Sun May 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Sorry that should have read bicarbonate of soda, not baking powder :oops:
kittycat

Postby Ellie Girl » Wed May 25, 2011 1:53 pm

I've recently been in touch with Dr Organic - I've been using their Rose Otto body wash and lotion and my bf started to say I smelt sweet, like flowers. He doesn't often notice a smell, so I thought that he is noticing that might be good. Although he doesn't identify a tmau smell on me, but he says I smell differently to normal and he likes it (I've also finally cut out all dairy and alcohol so that might also be making a difference). So I've emailed Dr Organic and most of their products are in the range of pH 4.5 to 6 (they use only natural ingredients so needs to be in this range to preserve them). I've spoken to their marketing person at length about TMAU, and what we need, and he now has someone looking at the product sheets for the pH value of their entire range so that he can be more specific for us. I will feed back when he lets me have the info. Anyway, it is another option for us - it's quite pricey but is lovely stuff in a range of natural scents (stuff for blokes too!), and they do roll-on deo as well, which if it's in the right pH range is also good news!

Ellie x
Ellie Girl

Postby smelly » Sun May 29, 2011 12:03 am

kittycat, thanks for the update - you could say 'wash in green paint' and I would - im very guilllable :lol:

elliegirl,that range sounds nice. I am torn between trying to please the folks that cant smell TMAU smell much and who appreciate a bit of perfume to cover up what they can smell, and those that seem to be overly sensitive to the smell and any perfume exagerates it so they get annoyed :x
Last edited by smelly on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smelly

Postby Ellie Girl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:48 am

Hi Smelly,

The scents in this range are subtle. I know what you mean re perfume though - my bf's flatmate said my odour made my perfume nauseating - 'sickly sweet' which made me stop wearing it but then I also thought it's better to be nauseatingly sickly sweet than smelling like poo!

The Dr Organics guy hasn't got back to me yet but will let you know when he does.

There's also a range called 'Lavera' which you can get online. They used to put the pH details on the site for every produce but I can't see them now. I do remember though that their 'Basis' range was mostly in the correct pH range, and is very mild in terms of scent. Again it's reasonably expensive but I'm willing to try anything, pretty much.

E x
Ellie Girl

Postby allterrain » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Which soaps do people recommend that are available in the UK? Which shops do you get them from?
allterrain

Postby smelly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:09 pm

I think Im right in saying that generally solid soaps are more alkaline ie bad, unless specifically say otherwize like sebamed range (get from online pharmacies / chemists ) which are correct pH at about 5.5. I have tested a few different ranges like Johnsons and Dove which are generally about pH6 6.5 if they are the liquid body washes. Unfortunately they keep changing the formulations to update them with new fragrances etc and I have come across an odd one from a 'safe' range that randomly has a higher pH.

If you want to be really safe you can always but the Sebamed intimate body wash that says it is pH 3.8. It has the advantage that it is specifically for womens 'intimate areas' as the name suggests! so it removes some of the worry that excessive washing of those areas might otherwize cause. Unfortunately they seem to be taking advantage of the fact that its becoming well -known for this purpose, and althought the rest of the range can be bought for about £2.50 a bottle i fyou shop around, this specific item is always about £5/6 and if you use it all over body I find it only lasts a week!

I think the more acid (low pH) the better, because you are trying to get your skin to a low pH so that when you sweat out the alkaline chemicals they are kept in a state where they are less likely to evaporate and be detected. But I dont know in reality how much time they give you, because as you sweat more alkaline stuff Im sure the pH is going to turn completely alkaline and it will start to evaporate in to the air and be smelt. I think its just meant ot give you a bit of time until you can get to a shower and hose it off and start again!

If you do a search (top right of screen) for bodywash or Dove or something it will probably bring up all the posts where peopel say what thye think i sworking for them - same fo r deoderant, shampoo etc
smelly

Postby smelly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Just remembered something else, on another tmau site someone said they were rubbing a lemon over skin to bring down pH and as a disinfectant on skin. And that made me think that cheaper option might be to buy a bottle of cheap lemon juice and put couple drops on sponge with usual bodywash.

And if Im away from home and cant find my usual bodywash in local shop, I buy something from the baby range becaue I think im right in saying they tend to be slightly acidic to make them safer for babies eyes? Certainly all the baby bath products Ive tested are on the acidic side of neutral, plus they tend to have less weird fragrances and chemicals that we could probably do without.
smelly

Next

Return to treatment