Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)

antibiotics, nullo etc. - what works for you?

Moderator: admin

Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)

Postby Jordan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:29 am

Apprently riboflavin is supposed to increase the productivity of FMO3. Does anyone take this supplement? Can anyone offer any first hand knowledge of its efficacy??
Jordan

Re: Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)

Postby oldskool » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi,

I've been prescribed riboflavin, 100mg/day for the past two months. At first, I saw no effect but after about a month, it seemed to kick in and I've been able to eat beef, lamb and even had some king prawns (they are usually completely off-limits for me) without any noticeable odour.
I generally have a faint odour from my palms even when I'm being really careful with my diet, but my boyfriend says at present he can't smell anything whatsoever.
I was skeptical about taking riboflavin, but decided it was worth a go and wanted to try anything other than the recommended antibiotics. I'm really please with the resutls so far! The only drawbacks i've had with th e prescription are that I've got 2 month's supply, but the tub says the pills only keep for 31 days (not sure if this is to do with the light-sensitivity of riboflavin or another chemical stability issue..) and I've read elsewhere that it's best to break up the dosage into 30-50mg a couple of times a day (my pills are 100mg each). Also, they're not generally kept in-store at the chemist, so they take a couple of days to order in.
Hope this helps!

Regards,

Oldskool
oldskool

Postby smelly » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for posting that you have noticed a benefit with this oldskool, because out of everything thats recommended thats probably the only thing that doesnt have a negative consequence for general health. I was planning on taking this 'just in case', the thing that was putting me off was that its a pain to get ahold of, but now you've given me a spur on....
smelly

Postby Jordan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:22 am

I did take it for two weeks but didnt really notice much difference so stopped. Also I could see that my body was getting rid of alot of it in my urine (its was VERY yellow). After reading the back of the tub I got it says 100mg is 5800% the RDA which also put me off. I'll start back up with it and see how I get on. . .

I got mine rom ebay by the way smely if your having trouble. They were £4.95 + £1.65 shipping for 100 tab of 100mg. Incidentally the expiry date on mine is like 2015!! ow bizarre lol
Jordan

Postby oldskool » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Jordan wrote:I did take it for two weeks but didnt really notice much difference so stopped. Also I could see that my body was getting rid of alot of it in my urine (its was VERY yellow). After reading the back of the tub I got it says 100mg is 5800% the RDA which also put me off.

hey jordan,

the RDA for B2 for grown men and women is generally reported to be 1.3mg and 1.0mg, respectively. Plus B2 is water-soluble and isn't really stored by the body, so any unneeded just gets excreted (hence the pee colour-I couldn't get over how illuminous yellow it was at first!!), so I wouldn't be too put off by that. I've seen something about headache/migraine studies in which patients received 400mg/day with little/no ill effects, but I've not seen other studies on the long-term use for chronic conditions, so I guess TMAU sufferers are almost a test group for that! :D
oldskool

Postby smelly » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:19 am

Lets all take B2, hooray!

Yeah, the ''difficult to get" bit was about the amount of B2 in the tablets, because like you say they come commercially in 100mg tabs but its recommended you take the hit in smaller amounts across the day so its better to get the 10mg ones (or are they 30mg? cant remember) But it is possible to get them on prescription and the chemist will order them in and it takes a few days. If you've been diagnosed you can print of the scientific paper from the info bi tof this site to show your GP, Im pretty sure it mentions it as part of treatment there. I just prefer being able to get it myself rather than the faff of dealing with the medics
smelly

Postby PoetFire » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:52 am

Here is a suggested dosage, though I don't know how much confidence or proof there is in it. I suppose you could break up a 100mg into pieces

" Enhancement of residual FMO3 enzyme activity. Supplements of riboflavin, a precursor of the FAD prosthetic group of FMOs, may help maximize residual FMO3 enzyme activity. Recommended intake is 30-40 mg, three to five times per day, with food. Children given riboflavin should be monitored closely because excessive amounts may cause gastrointestinal distress."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11 ... Management
PoetFire

Postby lyndsey » Wed May 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi everyone

How much vitamin b2 are you all taking. Went to herbalist today, dont need to go back after these 4 months more of herbs for anxiety and to build my immunity as candida and ecoli still away. Took vitamin b 2 down today to herbalist as have just started taken 100mg tablet a day. She tested on body and I need it but 3oomg a day still taking femibion radiance for essential fatty acids 1 a day and good bacteria Im slowly but surely getting there, but am interested in how much you all taking. Three weeks then my studies are over I can feel the stress lifting already happy days.

Miss you all and hope you all keeping well

Lyndsey xxx
lyndsey

Postby SmellyKelly2 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 am

Hi Lyndsey
Hope you are well.
That is very interesting about vitamin B2.
Did you follow a anti candida for 3 months and what anti-fungals or herbs were you given to get rid of candida?
Also, has it made a big difference to the odour?
Thanks
SKx
SmellyKelly2

Postby lyndsey » Thu May 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi SK

I have been goin to herbalist now since last May every four months and received different herbs each time as and what my body needed at that time. First I had herbs to kill candida that I know contained thuja the smell got significantly worse on this die off phase, then herbs to kill ecoli, then last time was for stress, hormones and lymphatic system as it was not getting rid of toxins properly. Sk I still smell but not like I did at the beginning this has been a long and drawn out process, but the mood is positive. I think the vitamin b2 is going to make a significant difference although too early to say as my clothes smelt lovely last night after taking 3 x 100mg tablets (dont want to raise hopes too much yet).My herbs each time have contained essential fatty acids, I think we need these and the ribloflavin, my diet lately I have been eating the odd sugar and appear to be tolerating it ok. I think the answer to this is positive mindset, exercise, doing things we enjoy, eating helthy, vitamin b2, essential fatty acids and good bacteria. Herbalist said I should be fine after this herbs as building my immunity, and candida and bacteria away now for a period of time. How have you been doing.

Take care

Lyndsey xxxx
lyndsey

Next

Return to treatment