Antibiotics - Ireland?

antibiotics, nullo etc. - what works for you?

Moderator: admin

Antibiotics - Ireland?

Postby robert123 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi all,
Ok this is a bit of a long shot but I'm wondering if any fellow Irish person could help me. I read before how those with tmau2 get prescribed with a course of antibiotics, the names escape me at the minute but I think the method is you are given three antibiotics rotated at two week periods each. Firstly I'd really be interested if anyone here went through this and if so did it do them any good?
I was given rifaximin before as I got diagnosed with sibo but it certainly didn't help my odour.
I'd absolutely love to give this course of treatment a go but I don't know if I could get a doctor to write out a presciption for me. Actually I did get to see Prof Tracey in Dublin. Unfortunately my tmau test came back negative and even more unfortunately neither she nor her colleague could detect any bad smell coming from me, typical ever since I was around twelve I've suffered a whole range of terrible smells that seem pretty constant but the one time I really wanted someone to smell me they couldn't. Not that I'm complaining about Prof Tracey who came across as a kind and competent person but truth be told I sort of had a mini nervous breakdown in her office when I realised things werent going my way so I suspect she thinks I am some kind of crazy person who suffers from olfactory reference syndrome. I don't blame her for thinking that but there would be no point trying to go back there for help I feel.
My gp dismissed the notion I had tmau and I could see he felt very embarrassed talking about it and a gastroenterologist I went to had never even heard of tmau. Sorry about being so long winded but to get to the point, I would really love to see a doctor in Ireland who is familiar with malodour problems and could be of help to me especially perhaps in writing out that course of antibiotics I menttioned above. Thanks in advance, I'm facing another lonely Christmas living with my problem so any light at the end of the tunnel would be so much appreciated :)
Last edited by robert123 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robert123

Re: Antibiotics - Ireland?

Postby Pebble » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi Robert,
I've tried metronidazole which made me feel really crap and also neomycin which gave me no side effects.
A few people I have spoken to say they tested negative for tmau when they get this through their breath. Mine is through body and I tested positive. Hope that this helps and merry Christmas

Btw I'm not in Ireland, I'm in Dorset
Pebble

Postby robert123 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Hey Pebble,
Thanks very much for your reply. Yes it certainly does help, those two antibiotics you mentioned definitely ring a bell as the ones I was reading about.
May I ask did you find either of them doing much good in terms of your odour levels or was it hard to tell?
Don't know what the story with my test was, I really do feel it was a false negative as I have all the symptoms that everyone else has on here. While usually I can't smell myself down through the years I was able to detect or from other people's comments heard I was emitting a burning/garbage/fecal smell now and again and yes the odd time a fishy smell also.Was heartbroken when nothing showed up with my test :(
thanks again for your reply, Dorset sounds like a really nice part of the world, hope you live near the coast there and get to have nice long walks by the sea :)
robert123

Postby Pebble » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:53 am

Hi Robert
I took the antibiotics when my test results came back with a high reading. Probably won't bother with the metronidazole again as it makes me feel too rough but we are all different so others may find it ok. I think the metronidazole worked better though. The people who I spoke to who tested negative had the same symptoms only through their breath and for whatever reason the test didn't pick up a positive result even though they suffer the same symptoms. Very frustrating I'm sure for those who can't get a result but have bad symptoms. Yes, Dorset is lovely in the summer months :D
Pebble

Return to treatment